Soil for raised beds

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Does anybody have a formula of what should be put in the raised beds..?...Ive got 2 4x4 beds ready to go..my hubby just made them out of cedar and now I want to put the best soil mixture in them...any help would be appreciated...Judy

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Are you planning to purchase the soil? or build up the one you have.
Josephine.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I may have to buy whatever but I do have some compost from my pile..not a huge amount but I want to use what I can out of the pile to start it up again for this growing season....Judy

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

What type of soil do you have, clay, sand, loam?

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I have pretty good soil but Ive had a terrible time with chickweed so Im going to raised beds and put down mulch in the pathways..this will also be better on the ole back when Im gardening..Ive always wanted to try square foot gardening so this will be exciting...I just need a good formula for what to put in the beds....Judy

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

This is the soil I have in my raised beds. It is full of soil organisms & exhibits excellent tilth (as you can see from the picture), drainage, and moisture holding ability. It is comprised of composted pine bark, sphagnum peat, Turface (a baked clay granule) and sand. Let me know if you're interested in replicating it in your beds & I'll help.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.