My mini bulbs =)

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Last fall, we planted 1200 bulbs in a 15' circle around a sycamore in our front yard. Seems a lot, but the largest of the bulbs was about the size of a hazelnut. =) They were planted about 1" deep, and 2" apart. The bulbs consisted of three different muscari, six different wild tulips, and mini daffs. The daffs showed foilage, but (as of yet) very few blooms. The muscari got the show rolling, with the white blooming last. Then, the tulips started popping up, and each day the circle looked different. =)

This is a view of the full circle. The photo doesn't do the colors justice. I took a few closeups, we'll see if they come across better, in followup posts. =)

Thumbnail by Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

A closer view. The first red tulip opened today.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Some of the tulips.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

That first red one. =)

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Side view.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I had originally purchased 1400 bulbs. I wasn't sure how much it would take. I couldn't get all of the other 200 by the mailbox, because of some perennials there, but I sure tried. =)

Please ignore the oak leaves. Those responsible, have been sacked. =)

This message was edited Mar 31, 2007 12:10 PM

Sedalia, MO

Love those flowers,what a spectacular aray of colors. My tulips have bloomed, and so has my nascari,daffs,and hycinthia's, don't you just love spring?

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Yup! Especially when I've had a few months to recover from planting them, and can actually kick back and enjoy, heh. =)

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

That was a lot of work! But it turned out beautifully. Thank you for sharing with us.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

They look great!!

Fulton, MO

Very nice, I like the color combo!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

That's really pretty. Thanks for sharing! ; D

Have those in charge of the sackings been sacked as well? lol Loved the Monty Python reference! ; D

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Greatest movie, all-time, hands down. =D

Mchenry, IL(Zone 5a)

looks awesome!! i planted several of the grape muscara and several yulips but mine havent started blooming yet. they are getting big though. what kind of tulips are the white ones?

Midland, WA(Zone 8a)

Your sycamore garden is really lovely -- just my type! I planted an arc of small bulbs in my yard last fall, nowhere near as complete as yours -- and things are still coming up. Crocus 'Romance' and 'Lilac Wonder' are finished, daffodil 'Bahama Beach' has just started, and some jonquils friends of mine got as party favors at a Korean wedding are also up and the first was blooming (in the rain) this morning. Squill (Scilla siberica) is just starting to fade, and the grape hyacinths are up and lengthening but still green.

I like the idea of planting them around a tree, but my front-yard tree (a Cladrastis kentukea (yellowwood)) was on the endangered creatures list this year, and in fact succumbed (broken down by many natural disasters like hail storms and rabbits), so I hadn't dared to plant anything under it. This spring I hope to replace it with a Heptacodium miconioides (seven sons flower tree), which has a reputation for shrugging off both hail and rabbits with a scornful laugh. Then I intend to plant around it, per your sycamore, Crocus sativa (saffron crocus), Eranthis hyemalis (winter aconite), maybe a few oddballs Brent & Becky's Bulbs recommend for early fall planting, and of course more squill and daffodils. Ahhh -- so many flowers! So little time!

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

kathy1955,

Sorry, I have no idea on the names of the 6 different tulips. They all came in a combination of 3 different muscari, 6 different wild tulips, and mini daffs. If I have the time, I'll try and find the actual cultivars' names.

carrieebryan,

Heptacodium miconioides is a very large shrub. Will you be training it as a standard, or leaving it as multi-trunked?

Midland, WA(Zone 8a)

eggs,
I plan to train it as a tree. The li'l darlin' is sitting in my carport along with 3 Clethra alnifolia (sweet pepperbush, dear to my heart) destined for a murky spot in the back yard. I hope to plant them all this Sunday, if Saturday's rain is not so heavy that I can't mow the grass first.

Joplin, MO

Very pretty - nicely done. I, too, love the colors! Send more pictures if you can?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the pic of tulips in Springfield.

Hello showmestate! I m live around here and I just move here from Calif last yr. and brought house 2 yrs ago.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2007 8:58 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I'd love to post more pics, but it's been so insane at work, that I never had time to take them. When we had the "big freeze", I thought it was all over. Nope, everything bounced right back. I was amazed. What tough little plants! =)

The most bizarre thing about the garden was, the mini Daff's just bloomed. LOL They should have been one of the first, but waited to be dead last. I still can't figure that one out. =/

Thanks, all, for the kind words. I was very pleased with this bed, and look forward to next year, when it should be even more full (as if 1200 plants weren't enough, heh).

Eggs

Joplin, MO

Rusty56 - are those pictures of your tulips? They are beautiful! It's so nice to see some flowers, when most everything got zapped by the freeze. Welcome to Missouri, and welcome to Joplin. Sorry, you had to experience our Midwest unpredictable weather so soon. But, the good days, are often really good. (The bad weather is sometimes really bad). But all in all it is a very nice area to live in.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

No it not mine I took this pic in Springfield, MO which it fast food parking lot.

I has lived up North Mo Trenton, Osgood and Brookfield for 5 yrs.

I move back to Califoria to take care of my mom for 8 yrs. So, she gone 2 yrs ago. I move here last summer which I brought house 2 yrs ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.