Leggy Datura seedling

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

I am growing Datura for the first time- and of all the plants I have started in my kitchen, they are much more leggy than any other flowers- not sure why as they are all getting the same light. Just natural light from the windows- I have a tiny apartment and haven't worked out a way to get lights up.
I'd take a picture, but my other half is out of town and has the digital camera :-(
How deep do you all plant these when you pot up? A lot of my annuals I just bury down to the cotyledons and they do just fine- can you do this with Datura?
My Lilac La Fleur (I think thats the name) is the tallest- its getting its first set of true leave right now, and is 3 inches tall. For contrast, the double whites and the triple yellows (in the same flat right next to the Lilac) are only 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall. They were all started on March 14th.
Have another question as well- some of the other Daturas that haven't germinated yet have this white fuzzy looking stuff around the seeds- is this normal or something bad? Do I need to start those over?
Thanks in advance- I am REALLY looking forward to these Datura this summer! Such a pretty plant. Samantha in Philly

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've never had that problem, but you might be able to get away with planting it deep since it's in the same family as tomato.

X

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

When the Daturas get bigger and they get leggy, should you cut them back or pinch them so they bush more.
Robin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.