newbie with a question

Jesup, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Dave's and new to gardening. I'm reading everything trying to learn as much as I can and this site really has a lot to offer.

I live in southeast GA and today while walking my dog I saw a tree that I simply MUST find out about. I could only see the top of it over a ten foot fence so can't tell you about the trunk or bark. However, it was covered in blooms of round, white balls. The balls were made up of small white flowers. The balls were perfectly round and about the size of a baseball. This is not a bush, it's a tree.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The people weren't home when I knocked on the door so couldn't ask them and now I can't get back over there untill Sunday afternoon. My curiosity is killing me.

Thanks,
PeachBlossom

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

It sounds like a snowball viburnum. http://www.greenwoodnursery.com/page.cfm/12125

Good luck with your quest!

Catherine

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

That is exactly what it sounds like - old fashioned snowball bush - (viburnum opulus). This is sterile so it won't produce any seed and also has no scent. It can become a small tree and will sucker freely. At my old house, the blooms became so heavy that it pulled the highest bushes down in an arching manner.

For a sweet scent try viburnum carlesii (Korean spicebush) and it stays more compact. The doublefile viburnum (plicatum tomentosum) is more like a small tree and is a good replacement for dogwoods. The blooms march up the branch on both sides - hence the name double-file.

Here is a picture of my old fashioned snowball bush at our last house. Is this what you are seeing?

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Jesup, GA(Zone 8b)

Yes, yes, yes!!!That's it. It's the most gorgeous thing I've seen and I want one. Thank you so very much for the information and the site. I'm ordering at least one right now.

A very happy camper,
PeachBlossom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.