Black nursery pots

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Does anyone in here container garden in these? Last summer I had great success on my roofdeck- about a hundred types of flowers did quite nicely for my inexperience with container gardening.
I have a lot of these- both blow mold and the sturdier injection molded. Most are black, although I have some green and some terracotta. Most are gallon sized, but I also have some 2 gallon and five gallon.
My question is........ for those of you who use these, do you just put one plant in each one? If not, how many? Any other advice or tips? I guess I'm at that stage in gardening where I really want to make sure I'm doing it right :-)
The only thing I noticed last year that was a drawback to using these pots was the fact that being black, I had to water twice a day sometimes- but the flowers seemed really happy in their pots.
Most of the pots had three or four plants in them, although the larger plants I only put one in each (like Cosmos and Foxgloves). One pot with marigold had about 15 in it, and at the end of the summer it was growing like gangbusters-
I'm starting all sorts of seeds- a few of the types are marigolds, zinnias, echinacea, foxglove, gardenia, alyssum, cosmos, coreopsis, datura, physalis, joe pye weed, butterfly bush, bachelor buttons, four o'clocks, etceteras.
Thanks in advance- just need some feedback to make me feel more comfortable with container gardening.
Samantha

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think you've got the right idea... as with any container, the number of plants per container seems to depend both on the size of the container and on the kind of plant... I tend to cram plants closer together in containers than I would if I were planting them in the ground, and they do OK, maybe because the containers have a greater depth of "nice" soil than my garden beds.

As far as pots drying out, I am totally sold on using polymer moisture crystals. They soak up excess water like impressive little sponges, then gradually release it to the soil -- helps with overwatering as well, I think. Look for brands like "Soil Moist" at Home Depot, or for better prices go to www.watersorb.com. A little goes a looong way, so follow the directions! (1 oz. per 5 gallons of potting mix... so that 12 oz jar from HD will do 60 gallons of mix!)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, just wanted to add... there was a recent co-op on the crystals, so look in the co-op forum for a really informative thread about them.

Critter........
Thanks for that information- do you use the medium size crystals like the website recommends? And what type of soil or mix do you add these crystals to?
Thats a great price they have- I think I will order some. I really like the idea of not having to water as much-
I tend to pack more plants into a container as well- that pot of marigolds I had last year with 15 in it wasn't intentional, but it worked out great in the end :-) I put some seedlings in there in May with the intention of potting them up later, and just never got around to it- but wow they just took off on their own!
With most plants, it seems like perhap four in a gallon pot worked best- they had enough room, but yet it was a bit more economical than putting all four in individual pots. Some plants really need their own though, like Cosmos. I had one last year in a gallon pot that bushed out six inches wider than the pot, and I swear it was four feet tall!
Samantha

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Samantha, check the co-op forum -- I think the moisture crystals co-op is still going on, and you'll get better prices yet.

I use the crystals when I plant in the ground as well as in pots -- medium size. For seed starting and smaller pots, my favorite is Pro Mix... the coarser texture of Miracle Gro mix works well in larger containers, but I'm not a fan of the "moisture control" MG mix, would rather get the regular mix and add crystals to it.

Watersorb used to carry a "small" size crystal that was great for little pots and seed trays because it didn't make the potting mix heave around so much as the crystals expanded with water... you can whirl some medium or large crystals in a propeller coffee grinder (wash well afterwards of course) if you want to have some little ones.

Jill-
Thank you SO much for pointing me in the direction of the co-op :-) A great price! It was still going, and I got my order in- can't wait to try these this summer. I got ten pounds, so what'll that treat- at least hundreds of gallon pots :-)
I see you in the tomato forum too- do you use the watersorb on those as well? This will be my first year of tomatoes (my seedlings are doing well so far and are getting ready to bust out their second set of true leaves).
This is going to be a great summer for my gardening I can tell! I get so excited this time of year LOL- my other half gets a bit fussy about all the flats and trays set up in every available spot of sun, but its all good-
Take care-
Samantha

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Samantha and you others, would you please post pictures so we can see what you are talking about? Thanks.

Jeanette

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Jnette - I don't have a photo and my batteries are in the charger but think of what huge grains of salt would look like and that's what the water crystals look like.

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

A product that combines polymer with nutrient is called FertiSorb. There are a couple of comments about it on the Garden Watchdog.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Pirl!! I'm sorry, I didn't mean pictures of the polymers. I meant pictures of how they planted the gallon pots etc. You must think I am really hokie! Is that a word? LOL

Jeanette

Oh Lord, Jnette. I'm sorry! NO, you're not hokie and I don't know if it's a word but knew what you meant.

Am I too naive to believe that they put soil and a plant (or a few plants) in a black pot and that's how they were planted? I agree, pictures would be a help.

Jnette and Pirl-
I would take pictures of the black pots but my other half is in West Virginia for work and has the digital camera.
Although it may be a serious gardening mistake from what I gather, I did indeed garden last summer using mostly black plastic nursery pots- at the time it was all I could afford and I got like a hundred of the pots (1 gallon or more in size) for free from a landscaper.
Thank God I do have a better job now. Philadelphia is a super-expensive city, and I now could afford to buy all new 'real' pots- but my container gardening plans include more than a hundred types of flowers, so this year I thought perhaps I would use the black pots again- since last summer my garden grew so well in them that my deck was like an urban jungle :-)
I had various types of marigolds everywhere, Cosmos that grew to 4+ feet, Coreopsis, two Echinacea that became huge by the end of the summer, Bachelor Buttons, a couple small palm trees, a Norfolk pine, Alyssum, Lantana, Petunias, Gypsophila, Butterfly Bush, Morning Glories, Sweet Peas, Celosia, Liriope, Delphinium, two bonsai (in bonsai pots of course) and some other flowers I can't remember. And all my houseplants got brought outside as well.
I started all my plants inside from seed- except for a few that I bought at Home Depot. In the pots, I planted things that get large (like Echinacea and Cosmos) in their own larger pot- and in the gallon pots I planted smaller flowers, like Alyssum and Celosia. In some of the pots, I put three or four plants (evenly spaced out)- and in a few of them I put 10 or more Marigolds and things that grow tall but don't really spread out, like Coreopsis and Bachelor Buttons.
All did quite well- including one gallon pot with 15 dwarf marigolds in it. It actually was the last plant to die last fall when we got our first killing frost.
What I was hoping with my posting was to see if anyone else used these black plastic pots in their container gardening- and to share their technique. My only complaint I could have in using the black pots was that I had to water twice a day last summer- my deck faces south, has no awning and is full sun- not an inch of shade. I was really pleased with my garden last year- it was like my own little oasis in the middle of the city.
Samantha

Samantha - would you consider using the water crystals, such as Terra Sorb, to reduce the watering needs? It gets mixed in thoroughly with the soil, not just at the bottom.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

My biggest (and really only) concern with the black pots is that if they're sitting in sun on a really hot day, the black absorbs the heat and can cook the roots (this can happen regardless of whether you water enough or not). But if your summers aren't too hot or if you can keep the containers out of direct sun then there's no reason you couldn't use them.

Pirl-
I really like the idea of the water crystals, and ordered ten pounds in the co-op after Jill told me about it. I'm really looking forward to not having to water as much! Although I love gardening, watering to me seems to be the most tedious thing, especially since I am usually in a hurry in the morning getting ready for work, but don't want my plants to go dry for the day :-)
So have you used these black nursery pots? Although I would much rather have pretty containers, and containers that are better for the plants, I had great growth last summer.
I have also learned on here that you can line the sides of the black nursery pots with plastic and it will help retain moisture. I think another thing I will try is using a bit of mulch on the survace of the soil to hold the moisture in.
Looking forward to another year of happy gardening!!
Samantha

Ecrane-
Thanks for the tip.
Although my deck is nothing but full sun, last year I was able to combat this problem a bit by putting the pots all directly next to each other with no space in between, so that the only large surface getting direct sun was on the outer edge of the rows of pots. I didn't have too much problem with those plants either, as since they were on one side of the arrangement, they only were warmed by full sun for half the day as the sun made its way across the sky.
In the free pots I got last year, quite a few of them are green and terracotta, and I think this summer I will put those lighter pots on the outside, and the black on the inside.
And I did find some nice white and cream colored pots at Home Depot this year for not too much- I bought twenty of them so far, and plan to buy more.

Samantha - it sounds like you're doing just fine and with lighter colored and prettier pots around the edge I'm sure it will be very nice. The way you grouped them together reminds me of the penguins who do the same thing for warmth! Mulch will be a tremendous help in conserving moisture.

On some thread today someone mentioned to soak the crystals first, then mix them with the soil. I just made pencil sized holes and put the crystals in the holes. Maybe I used too much because it looked like I was growing clear Jell-o. I think, this year, I'll soak about 1/4 cup of the crystals in a gallon sized bowl and mix with the soil first, then plant. No more Jell-o plants for me!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Samantha your flower garden sounds wonderful. I love the colors of the marigolds. And I am sure you saved seeds from all of your flowers?

In case you haven't heard, they now have a spray paint out now that will stick to the plastic. Krylon had 4 colors last year and my daughter sprayed one with a terra cotta that didn't look too bad. Then my dh got a real dark green and sprayed some more pots. Then someone on one of the threads said that this year there is another company I think they said that has even more colors.

That is so that maybe the sun won't bake the roots like ecrane3 said. I was thinking the same thing about the roots getting so hot but hey there is nothing like success!!

Jeanette

My guess is the sun can't get to the black sides of the pots as easily when they're all grouped together, as Samantha has done.

I am curious about the newer pots taking up more space than the black plastic but combining plants with similar watering requirements could certainly make a dazzling display. You'll have to take photos of the blooming pots on your deck, Samantha, so Jeanette and I can enjoy them from a distance.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Pirl, I ordered some of the Watersorb crystals thru the coop. When those crystals first came out, many years ago, I tried them and the roots of my begonias went into them and never came out. The plants didn't grow all summer. When I took the tubers out at the end of the year here were all of those polymers hanging all over the roots. i swore I would never use them again.

But, I am planning on a lot of containers this year so decided that maybe they improved them. Can you give me some tips on using them?

Jeanette

Jeanette: I mix them in with the soil. Starting this spring I'll soak first, then mix in with all the soil, not just the bottom of the pot. Aside from that I have no other tips but if I hear of any I'll report back.

Hey all-
That is a fantastic idea about painting the pots- I will have to get some of that! It would add an extra splash of color, and perhaps help with keeping the black pots from getting too toasty.
I did save seeds from all my flowers last year. I love marigolds- they're so cheery to me!
It was my first time saving seeds (thanks to Daves), and I've gotten germination from all of them. I was worried last fall when I started saving them whether I was taking them at the right time, and drying them enough- I must have!
It will also be my first time trying mulch- although I have always grown a couple of plants each summer, the addiction to gardening really took hold last summer LOL- I've got it bad :-)
So between the water crystals and mulch, I expect to be watering a bit less this year- I think the water crystals are a great idea, and bought ten pounds through the coop.
Critterologist recommended grinding the crystals up smaller in a coffee grinder- perhaps that would help with them sticking to your begonia roots? There must be a way- but there are a lot of people who have used these, so I'm sure someone can give you good advice.
I will definitely post pictures of my container garden this year- and also the community garden I found to take part in- its just a little neighborhood thing on a vacant lot, but I'm excited about it.
Take care!
Samantha

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd only recommend pulverizing the crystals into smaller sizes when using them in very small pots or shallow seed starting trays... elsewhere, I think the medium crystals (or a mix of medium and large as is offered in the co-op) work better. There's a lot of good info on the crystals in the co-op Q&A thread.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Like I said, the experience I had with them was about the first year they were on the market. Must have been almost 20 years ago. Hopefully they have improved them since then. Glad to hear about the Q and A informtion. I will look.

Samantha, please post pictures of the painted pots. Also, let us know what colors you find. I live 80 miles from anywhere I would find them . I have some huge, like 20 gallon black nursery pots that they had trees in. They do get hot. I might like to try painting those but would like someone else's opinion on how they like the paint.

There again, my daughter bought the paint when it was new on the market and just got the terra cotta. I did like the dark green, but it is almost as dark as the black so wouldn't do much good as far as the heat from the sun goes.

Jeanette - My thoughts are that your big pots would be great for container gardening because the more soil they hold the slower they'd heat up but I could be all wet - just like the weather. The sticky under the Container Gardening forum, about soil, is long but Tapla explains the components and what they can be expected to do, how the roots of plants work, etc. It's something I've read twice and will read over and over. The whole portion about the wick makes it all worthwhile.

Did you see the thread about painting the plastic by using the spray stone look on them?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No Pirl I didn't see that thread but I read one that did mention it. Now, that might be fun to try. I'll have to look for it. I did read that sticky by Tapla and I must read it again. When I was reading it I never did see where he started out with the wicks. i.e. how long? how many? how high in the pot? etc. Just said how to put one in without having to dump your container out and start over. How many with a large pot?

Maybe I am trying to be too precise (read that picky). Where does the wick get the water? Do you have a large reservoir somewhere? Buckets of water sitting around? Have to admit I didn't get all the way thru it yet.

Jeanette

Jeanette - just read Tapla's first post about not using shards or stones at the bottom of a pot for drainage. I'll find the other part and Dmail it to you - about wicks.

The colors the gal used to spray the buckets were all darker (green, burgundy, etc.) but then another poster said there are many more colors. I'd probably stick to just three colors and have them blend in with my new good pots. I'll find that thread and link it here.

Here's the thread about painting pots:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/704141/

Brenham, TX(Zone 8b)

Where i work, we keep our 1 gallon plants on the ground, in other words we don't have benches. i've found that putting pots that get a lot of sun do better when they are up off the ground. I use wooden pallets.... it raises them about 3-5 inches. The ventilation underneath helps. Be carefull, don't mistake a wilted plant as needing water. Feel the soil first, if it's damp, don't water. Sometimes plants wilt when the temps get too high. Move the plant to a shadier spot. If it's something I can't move, I'll give it a little sprinkle on the foliage to bring the temp down.

I bought a few of those cast iron things, on wheels, for underneath pots. It should help keep them cooler and make them easier to move.

Hydrangeas are notorious for looking droopy in the heat of the day but perk right up when the day cools off.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Jammin, you lost me. First you said you put your one gallon pots on the ground. Then you said putting pots that get a lot of sun do better when they are up off the ground. I use wooden pallets.... it raises them about 3-5 inches.

Ok, you are saying in your second statement that these are not one gallon pots. So, what are they that you put on wooden pallets?

Do you work in a nursery? Now you have me wondering why you put the one gallon on the ground instead of on the pallets.

I have several of those dollies Pirl they help a lot don't they. Now which pots are you going to paint? Thanks for the link.

Jeanette

I haven't yet decided, Jeanette. I have too many big ones and might have to use them for the back terrace, which means buying more for the courtyard. So confusing!

First, I should look at the colors offered.

Brenham, TX(Zone 8b)

sorry, i was in a hurry when i wrote that.
I work at a nursery that specializes in trees and shrubs, but we also carry some perrenials in 1 gallon pots. There are a couple of spots in the perrenial area that never get shade. That is where I use the pallets. The places that get some afternoon shade seem to do ok without pallats. I also place some larger, bushier 3-10 gallon plants, trees, or shrubs in between the one gallon plants to provide a little shade. Keep in mind, that this is a small mom and pop business and not a huge operation. I don't have acres of 1 gallon plants, so rearranging isn't a too much of a problem. I hope this is clearer.

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

I have planted all of my annuals and herbs in black nursery pots for years. They look great grouped together. My husband likes them in the corners of the vegetable garden. I use the seven gallon ones that my trees came in.

Sunray, TX(Zone 6a)

Little different spin on container gardening------I have always looked at containers as another form of raised bed gardening------subsequently my containers are of the super max size----black plastics are 4 feet diameter X 3 feet deep---takes 1 1/2 cubic yards of soil compost mix to fill-------steel cattle watering tubs are 8 feet in diameter X 2 feet deep---takes a little over 4 cubic yards of material to fill them----the tubs are readily available here---free for the asking---the older and more beat up the better I like them---gives them the"old warrior" look----easy to install----I use a cutting torch to cut the holes in the bottom---because I believe none of us are getting enough exercise I use a wheelbarrow and shovel to fill them from the stockpile that is 100 feet away---oh my aching back---LOL-----after plants are established I install drip irrigation on a timer on each major plant---tomatos---cucumbers---peppers---etc---everything else gets micro spriklers-at the end of the season I pick up the drip equipment and store for the winter---plus I do most of my hand work from a folding chair---what a concept--- all the containers are sitting in buffalo grass covered area---keeps the weeds down----and the lawn mowing to 2 times a year----bill

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Bill, I can imagine why they are free for the asking if everyone were to use them as you do. What do you plant in them? It would take me the entire summer putting soil in them the way you do. And I am talking about just one. By that time it would be too late to plant anything. Maybe that is the idea.

You exercise enough for me too. Thanks. Jeanette

Sunray, TX(Zone 6a)

I like being outside in colder weather---so anytime it is 32 degrees and warming with no wind---I work on these containers/raised beds---makes me feel good-----right now I have one planted in lettuce---one planted in spinach----one in beans---one in bell peppers---one in cucumbers---one in carrott s and radishes---3 in herbs-mint-etc etc---and 2 waiting for tomato transplants to harden ---2 are in wildflower medleys---I like to plant marigolds and things like that around the veg containers on the ground---I think the ground vegetation keeps the containers cooler plus I like marigolds --dill---etc---the earth worms in this climate gravitate to moisture---these containers are full of earthworms----same with my compost containers---full of earthworms working their little hearts out---guess you can tell I am a rabid gardener-----fair to middlin cook--eat and can what I grow and collect off the ranch----there are a few things better than a dry martini and one of them is wild plum jam/jelly---b

Bill does enough exercise for both of us, Jeanette.

We cross posted, Bill. I like the idea of a drink and the jelly - just not at the same time. I do applaud your creativity.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2007 5:11 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.