Could someone recommend.......

Clarksville, TN

.......a tall vine/climber for zone 6? I was originally going to place a tree about 3 feet from my property to add height to an area, but I think I have decided to make a "L" shaped trellis to fit the corner of my home and allow something to grow up. I really love jasmine, but from what I hear it does not do so well in our zone. I would love to have wisteria, but I always thought that had to be on more of an arbour........please correct me if I am wrong. I would like something that is fragrant and the areas receives morning shade, and hot afternoon sun.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have attached a picture of the house, the vine would go along the far left corner of the home.

Thumbnail by CoryS
COLUMBIA, TN(Zone 6b)

I live down the road from you in Columbia. The sweet smelling and pretty vines won't live in our zone. How I wish they did.Carolina jasemine will live here and it gives off a faint fragrance and has yellow flowers in the spring. Beth

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello CoryS.

Passiflora incarnata should be hardy in your zone. It grows fast and produces more flowers every year. Some of the other Passifloras may be hardy for you as well with mulching, e.g. caerula. You may also want to consider trumpet vines or Aristolochia macrophylla, although the latter is more rewarding for foliage rather than flowers.

Although probably not hardy for you (and therefore must be pulled indoors for the winter), consider corkscrew vines, the more tropical Passifloras (e.g. 'Lady Margaret', 'Purple Haze', 'Constance Elliot', etc.) and Aristolochias (e.g. elegans, gigantea, etc.), Solandra grandiflora and Rhodochiton.

For annuals, consider scarlet runner beans or morning glories.

Good luck to you.

Erick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.