hanging baskets

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I just hung 6 hooks for hanging baskets around our pool area (on the privacy fence). What are some good things to plant in them that can handle heat. I would like things the will trail down. I want to plant the "wave" petunia as it did really well in my pot I had on a pedastal. What else would be good?
d

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Before you decide on your plants; make sure all your baskets are the same color. I usually stick with dark green (the moss baskets dry out too quickly for me here in Florida). I personally just dont' care for the white plastic hanging pots; they just stick out like a sore thumb.
Wave petunias are great; also impatiens, verbena and one of my favorites and not often used is nasturtiums. The leaves are great in a salad !

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks orchid. I was leaning towards the coconut lined wire baskets (green). I had just read about nasturtiums and they are pretty. Do you think they would do good with alot of heat in full sun? I have seen the seeds in the store. Think I could direct sow in the baskets? I have never noticed plants for sale here. You had mentioned impatients too, I thought they were shade plants. I usually grow them where they do not get direct sun. These hangers will be in direct sun all day.
d

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think Nasturtiums will be happy in full sun. Impatiens do generally like it shadier, but there's a new line called SunPatiens that like sun, I saw them at garden centers last year so I'm sure they'll be around this year too.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

hmmm, will have to keep a look out for them.
d

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Calibrachoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
The leaves are great in a salad !

As are the flowers themselves. ;)

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Bacopa. I brought mine with me from So Cal, cut them back, and they just seem to keep going and going.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

My calibrachoa bloomed non-stop from beginning to frost last Summer with no cutting back and no deadheading. They were phenomenal.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Calibrachoa (million bells) would be a good choice, they're gorgeous. My favorite hanging baskets last year were begonias (I thought they were Richmondensis, but someone told me that was not the variety), the leaves had a reddish tinge, w/ small white flowers, & after I purchased 3 plants in May of last year, they bloomed until Jan.-Feb., there are still a few booms now, even after pruning late winter. I don't know that I've ever seen a plant that bloomed so long, while being low maintenance. I'm going to take cuttings & try to keep them going....

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Calibrachoa or Million Bells are great for hanging baskets and like full sun. They come in many beautiful colors to chose from. Bacopa is another trailing flower that also looks good in hanging baskets. Just remember to keep Bacopa well watered and cut it back occasionally to keep it flowering. I usually cut back just a couple of stems at a time. I like to put several diffferent floweres in my hanging baskets. I use a geranium that grows tall, million bells that grow out and down, bacopa that trails down, and vinca which is a vine that trails. I included a photo of one of my baskets on my deck as it was just starting to grow. Eventually the basket grew down into the window box on the deck railing which had the same flowers in it.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Oh grammyphoeb, that is so pretty! I have never seen Calibrachoa here. If I have seen something called million bells, I do not remember. I will look out for them. I love the combination you have there. That is what I want to do. I sure hope I can acheive something close to that. Thanks for the pic.
Dawn

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very nice looking and the perfection of the house adds so much to the scene.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you Dawn. I love container gardening with annuals because you get such a colorful display all season. Calibrachoa and Million Bells are the same thing, so if you find one, you've found the other. Proven Winners calls them Super Bells also if that is any help. I found yellow Million Bells last year and I loved that color and mixed it with a dark pink Million Bells (almost majenta) and light pink geranium and the white bacopa.

Bluefield, VA

Great picture, grammyphoeb, your containers look wonderful. I have looked and looked for seeds or plants of bacopa and I can't find them around my area. Of course, my choices are very limited, either WalMart or Lowe's. Can anyone suggest an online source or what is the best way to start them??? either from seed or plant?

Thanks, Betty

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mischel's Greenhouses (online) has them in white and many other great annuals at very reasonable prices and wonderful packaging along with a 100% replacement guarantee.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.