I'll see your leucistic bird and raise you a Squirrel

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

I saw this Squirrel one time. I suppose with a tail that color it would attract predators.

Thumbnail by Stelco
Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Your grass looks nice and green .

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

And it will be again! Just not for a while, yet. We have possible snow next Wednesday, Thursday and the following Sunday. With Purple Martins returning to Michigan this is not good news! So far the forecast calls for five straight days of weather with highs below 45 degrees. No insects for birds that only eat insects means we will have some return from Brazil, only to die of starvation.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey! I didn't know you'd already posted this picture! Oooops!

The weather men can't get the weather straight for the next day let alone next week! Keep the faith Mark! ;)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We have the same problem here with the weathermen. They have been saying all day that there is only a slight risk for severe storms and no tornadoes. Well.....tornadoes down in the Ozarks right now. lol. I just look at the sky and say yep it will rain or no it won't.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Stelco,

what a lil cutie. Is his tail white? never seen that before.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Great pic. Looks like the little guy is a partial albino. If my squirrels looked that cute I probably would not chase them from the feeder so often (not that it helps....I am surprised the little rats do not explode... LOL) :^)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. We chase our squirrels with BBs. I love watching them jump and sqeal, take off, then come back less than 30 minutes later. They love the food even though they have black walnuts .

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

The bird with the white head and the Squirrel with the white tail are examples of animals with leucism. It is a partial loss of melanin in certain areas. Many call this "partial albinism". I was just lucky to have captured a couple of examples of this rare trait in two wild animals.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Stelco,
You sure have warmer weather than we do. It is much colder here. That sure is an unusual squirrel. I see many different ones when I am in the woods, black with gray tails, gray squirrels that are brown, and some fox squirrels have neon orange tails.
A BB gun does not discourage the guys at all, I know I have one along side the window (with no screen) do not ask why.
When I was hunting there was one squirrel I named Jabba the hut. When he sat, his fat just flowed down, his little arms were like chicken legs. He had rolls from his chin all the way down his front. He had a little white spot on his side. I saw him this spring and he was normal sized, guess he needed all that fat for the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.