Deer repellents?

Wadsworth, IL

Last fall I planted, from seed, a prairie area of about 7000 sq. ft. As we await the emergence of our prairie I'd like your opinions and suggestions as to how to repell the sizable deer population we have in our area. Especially for a sizeable area like ours. Fencing is not an option. Thanks!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a food plot to me. And I am afraid the deer will think the same. Better put up a deer blind.
Learned the hard way, there is no way to deter deer if they want in, period. There are many good methods that work for a while. There are many products you can purchase, that work for a while, blood works for a while, human hair works for a while, mixture of dish soap and water make the plant icky tasting,etc. Even fences can be breached. They ignore our big dog, they found out they can run faster. Fish line around trees does not work in all cases, little fences get stuck on deer faces. They even walk up stairs to decks to eat flowers. They just love a free buffet.
My favorite story is a neighbor that was so proud of his new chemical he found to deter deer. He was out spraying after every rain and so forth. He told me how the deer came right up to the plant and didn't touch it. Well, I do not spray, and the deer also came up to my plants and didn't touch them. This is because (my theroy of course, but tried and true) the deer are just checking the plant, until the perfect time to eat it. A few weeks later, when the lillies were in full fat buds, they all disappeared in one night. Mine were still there, as they tend to go to his garden one night before. So when I hear the scream, I cut my lillies, bring them inside and enjoy them, all while having a nice venison dinner.
My advice is to enjoy watching this beautiful creature, and buy a bow.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

brookhillBob,

I just posted information on our inexpensive electric deer fence on this forum in two other places. The system we use would be very affordable for your space because a huge roll of wire is very inexpensive. The nice adjustable stakes that we use were $1.19 each and only need to be placed every 10 - 20 feet. Let me know if you need more information.

Sheral

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.