Seeds / Live plants for newbies?

Heiskell, TN(Zone 6a)

Hello both myself and my fiance are new to this site, and for the most part gardening, we have just moved in to our new home and for the first time actually have a yard!
We have decided to dedicate a large area to a green house about 300ftx600ft. I figured this would be a good hobby for her as she is stuck at home all day from muscular dystrophy, and i think this would be a good thing to occupy her time, but as of now we do not have anything to plant.

We're located just north of Knoxville, Tennessee so I'm not really sure what plants would be good to grow here, I'm mainly hoping for some advice here on what grows good in this area, and at the same time what is more or less cheap being some what on the low income bracket, while I'd love to grow some nice yoshino cherry Tree's and bright coloured shrubs to hundreds of flowers and grasses, i know this is not practical on a budget, so what is practical coming from those of you who once started with nothing?

I would ask for trades, but I have nothing to trade except for weeds from my lawn. :(

Thanks,
Sunshine & David

Thumbnail by davidhtn
Ballintleva, Ireland

Hi David and Sunshine (What a fab name)

No idea what will grow well for you - but will put you a pack of seeds together to get you started and pop it in the post to you tomorrow.
I'll in a mixture of easy seeds...annuals that will flower for you this year...and some more challenging shrubs and things

If you are not in the address exchange yet (see under "extras" on the menu bar) - D-Mail me your address.
Happy Gardening....and warm welcome to DG!
Sue

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Sunshine and David, Welcome to DG! I would love to send you some seeds. I started a garden from scratch a few years ago, too. D-mail me your address. You can also do a post in the seed trading forum so everyone can fix you up. We all have too many seeds and love to share. I can send you a good mix of perennials and annuals that would do well in your area. Cyndie

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Hi David & Sunshine,

I have seeds I can send you for some heirloom tomatoes and peppers, some flowers I mistakenly thought I could have here, etc. Not sure what will grow there, but if you can't use them, you can pass them on to someone who can.
D-Mail me your address and I'll pop them in the mail.

Welcome to Dave's!

Kathleen

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi Sunshine and David,

I have some veggie seeds I can send out to you guys. D-mail me your address when you get a chance and I'll send you some veggie seeds!!

Glad you joined Dave's and welcome!!!!

Megan

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

David & sunshine,

Buy perennial flower seeds from Walmart, they are usually under $2 and the germination rate is pretty good!

Carmichael, CA

Hey folks! 300x600? Do you realize how big that is?? lol

I started on ebay. I have spent so little and received so much considering what the prices are in stores!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

You would be surprised how much you can plant on a budget. As far as trees check with your local extension office for giveaways. Not kidding they'll probably have a day a year that they give out native seedlings. They also have info on what grows in your area. Next would be look around at walmart, lowes, home depot for trees and perenials that are out of bloom. I picked up two 6FT dogwoods for $7 a piece last year. Rose bushes were $1 a piece, I got 4. They mark things down when their out of bloom which is fine because next year you'll have a nice plant for very little money. Full price is for having flowers here and now for the most part. Seeds are cheap and if you get them here they're basicly free.

How long do you want to wait has a price on it. Next year you want a full grown anything and you will have to pay. If 5 years or so is fine, price much cheaper. 300X600 is what? About 2 acres? You need to plan out your trees first then work your way down. I'm in the wrong zone to help you. Good luck, should keep you busy for the next few years at least.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

For trees, try the Nat'l Arbor Day Foundation http://www.arborday.org/shopping/Memberships/Memberships.cfm

You can get 10 free trees with a six-month membership for $10. Guaranteed to grow or they replace them. Can't beat the price, but you have to be willing to wait for them to grow, as CoreHHI said.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Dave and Sunshine are not subscribers. Can they see all these replies or should you all be sending them dmail?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

No they can't. That was a while ago they posted though.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

If they can post, why can't they see replies? Has something in DG changed since March when they posted? Not trying to be a smarty, just curious...

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Only paying subscribers can see replies. I noticed that before I became a subscriber..

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

huh......never realized that since I joined right away when I found DG and saw how great it was!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

couldn't join right away. had a face-off with hubbie. my subscription for his new SLR camera. needless to say, I lost. since he bought the SLR (even though it was a cheaper one), no point sacrificing my subscription. But I'm still sore.. he spent hundreds and I spent $20. doesn't seem fair. c'est la vie. I'll get him back. I told him I'm getting the big ticket item next...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.