Can someone here give me the GPS Co-ordinates

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

for Carfax Tower and the section of Hadrian's Wall showing in this link: http://www.panoramio.com/user/133037&comments_page=1&photos_page=3 Also if you know the names of the buildings taken in the city of Spires I'd appreciate them as well (please leave the name in the comments section below the picture).

This message was edited Mar 31, 2007 11:42 AM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Would also really appreciate knowing what city the pic with the tag "Harry Potter" was taken in. :)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

To be able to reply, in the comment section, the sign up page is here: http://www.panoramio.com/signout/

It's the easiest way, that I can think of (the pics aren't on my hard drive now), to identify them.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2007 8:29 PM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

A lot of Harry Potter was filmed at Alnwick in Northumberland, 55°24'50"N 1°42'20"W. I don't recognise that particular street though, despite knowing Alnwick fairly well.

The Roman Wall photo is Housesteads fort (Vercorvicium), Northumberland, 55°00'48"N 2°19'49"W

Unfortunately, most of Northumberland (except for the southeast, Newcastle area) is very low resolution on google earth :-((

Not sure what you mean by Carfax, I don't see a pic labelled with that.

A few other notes . . .

Stratford has the wrong co-ords; it is around 52°11'38"N 1°42'29"W (that loc. is Shakespeare's birthplace; I don't know if that is where your statue photo is)

Saying Edinburgh is near Leith, is a bit like saying New York is near Bronx, or (Canadian example!) saying Ottawa is near Aylmer (in other words, Leith is a small suburb of Edinburgh!).

Stonehenge has the wrong co-ords; it is 51°10'44"N 1°49'35"W

Resin

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you so very much Resin! :)

re the pic tagged Harry Potter.....I just named that because it reminds me of a location in the show (my son thought it was taken in York but wasn't positive). He had a whirlwind educational tour of the United Kingdom last year.

I too hope they do a update on the United Kingdom soon. We almost went blind trying to guess where buildings might be in Oxford. re Carfax....it was the building DS took the pics of Oxford from

Thank you for the co-ordinates for Stratford.......I didn't realize I had mapped it too (will fix that right away). I'm guessing I got a little too trigger happy.

The GE system enters the "Edinburgh is near Leith". :(

I lifted Stonehenge's co-ordinates from someone else's GE pics (Murphy's Law......cheater's never win ;). Thank you for the correct ones. :)

Quoting:
Housesteads fort (Vercorvicium),

Ooops! just noticed a typo, should be Vercovicium

Resin

Quoting:
I too hope they do a update on the United Kingdom soon

Yep, it would be nice! There's far more hi-res graphic in the deserts of Saudi Arabia, than there is of Britain. The Isles of Scilly (49°56'N 6°20'W) are a disgrace.

Resin

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Where's "Housesteads fort (Vercorvicium)" taken from?

re the co-ordinates from Stratford.....the marker was placed there by the GE system. If one doesn't know the co-ordinates the city's name can be entered instead and the location my marker was placed came from entering Stratford. I've read there are a couple of bugs in the system. ;)

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 9:54 AM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Just figured out what the Housesteads fort refers too (still lifting your co-ordinates :)

Vercovicium was one of the largest forts on the Roman Wall, and the best preserved of those remaining (and also the most-visited!); Housesteads is the modern English name for the site (map below).

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

:D Thank you so much Resin! :D

Quoting:
Stratford.....the marker was placed there by the GE system. If one doesn't know the co-ordinates the city's name can be entered instead and the location my marker was placed came from entering Stratford. I've read there are a couple of bugs in the system. ;)

I wonder if the system might have interpreted 'Stratford' as 'Stretford' (a London suburb)?

Resin

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL your guess would be much better than mine! ;)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Stratford is fixed. :) Thanks again Resin. :D

BTW do you know the co-ordinates for Carfax Tower? :)

Found Carfax: 51°45'07.5"N 1°15'31"W

More awful res for Oxford!

Resin

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I know :(.....I can't believe your beautiful *very old* cities aren't done. :(

I was shocked to find the detail in my tiny prairie city (but there is a lot less for them to map here ;).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oooooooops! Thank you, thank you, thank you Resin for Carfax Tower's co-ordinates! (will enter them today :)

There must be a Cambridge graduate on the staff at GE . . .

;-)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL without looking I'm guessing Cambridge is on GE???

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

BTW one of my co-workers is from the Oxfordshire area......she was sooooooooo disappointed to see Oxford had such poor resolution.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL I just took a look at Cambridge. ;)

Exactly!! No doubt you guessed, there's a lot of rivalry between their two universities :-)

Quoting:
I was shocked to find the detail in my tiny prairie city

Pretty good - enough resolution to see a moose, though perhaps not quite a moose's jaw!

Resin

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 8:18 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

ROTFLOL.....you just didn't study the river's bends carefully enough! ;)

Now I've gotta check and see if our ugly monster highway moose can be seen on there (much prettier/more accurately portrayed Moose are hiding on an island in the main city park).

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 5:04 PM

london, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Resolution for Oxford and the North-East is much better at Live Search:

http://local.live.com/

- shame that Google Earth doesn't have this level of detail! Most of the U.K. looks quite detailed - although Moose Jaw seems to have lost out...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.