Ohio Buckeyes Emerging

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I went to California Nature Preserve, which is in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I got some pictures of new leaves emerging.

So without ado, Ohio Buckeye, Aesculus finito-quatro.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Another of Aesculus dondekentukea.

Scott

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Forgot to add the photo. Here it is.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Good ole Aesculus nationale spp championii.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's it folks. The Ohio Buckeye. Aesculus numero uno.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Fulton, MO

Unfortunately for me and my alma mater, the other name lately has been Aesculus wolverinodomitoris. :-(

Eau Claire, WI

Sorry to burst your bubblebut I think the Buckeye is waaay overrated. ;)

Fulton, MO

Maackia, we can always hope the buckeye catches that dreaded virus, Odensis quadrafoulii.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, the only reason the Aesculus glabra are daring to leaf out is because of the extirpation of Xavieria brickiformis Charity Stripe™.

Eau Claire, WI

LOL! Exactly, Stressbaby. It seems to be extremely susceptible to the virus, and I believe the only cure is direct contact with pine (any species will do) for an extended period.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

As a MSU spartan I love the Buckeye cause it keep the UnderarMs humble. Yes the joy shared by both of us OSU/MSU is the UM basketball team. Sorry but you are too vociferous to your compitition. We at MSU never speak loudly cause we have learned humility THE HARD WAY! Spartan Steve. :]

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I knew you guys would come up with some good retorts. You never disappoint!

Scott

Just so this thread doesn't end too prematurely, I've got a few other buckeyes I shot.

Here's Aesculus flava; brings back great ID memories...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

There have been statements made here that you could have too many yellow buckeyes.

Of course, I don't believe so. How can one not admire these?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Isn't amazing how much is wrapped up in a bud!

scott

There's something kind of primordial about them...

Dang...you cut in too soon, Scott. I was going to say...

This bud's for you.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Are you home already, VV? It's only 8PM!

scott

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Sorry feel free to jump on this New Englander who doesn't know what I buck eye is... Yes I have heard reference to the buckeye state but what the heck is a buck eye.... is it a chestnut? kt.... feeling really stupid

Now runk, remember how you got that name...

Buckeyes are North American members of the genus Aesculus. If they are from across one of the ponds, they are referred to as horsechestnuts.

And here's what has been hidden in the package all winter.

More info than you really want...but you asked.

Aesculus chinensis Chinese horsechestnut
Aesculus flava Yellow buckeye
Aesculus glabra Ohio buckeye
Aesculus hippocastanum European horsechestnut
Aesculus indica Indian horsechestnut
Aesculus parviflora Bottlebrush buckeye
Aesculus pavia Red buckeye
Aesculus turbinata Japanese horsechestnut
Aesculus x carnea Red horsechestnut

There's a slew more variations and hybrids, but you may be getting the point.

In North America, buckeyes are the common palmately compound opposite-leaved woody plant. They are the buck (or horse) in MADBuck or MADHorse.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And the common names, buckeye, and horsechestnut, allude to the seeds, which are big, eyeball-sized, brown to black nuts. Not edible, for humans at least, but big starchy, actually pretty cool-looking nuts. We had a big buckeye tree on our way to school and all the kids would throw sticks up in the tree to knock them down. I remember having wagons full of the glossy, mahogany nuts in the fall. Eventually, we'd get tired of having them around and we'd hit them into the woods with a badminton racket. Probably a whole forest of them back there now. There's a pretty unique and clever seed dispersal method for a tree to come up with, if you think about it!

Scott

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We at MSU always classified a buckey as a Hairless Nut. But maybe with Scotts pictures it may be more. :]

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I've been watching my aesculus pavia (red buckeye) that I planted last April, start to bloom & it's gorgeous! It had a bad patch late last summer when it was so hot, I thought it was dead, but I left it in place (I'm a hopeless optimist, it has to be REALLY dead before I remove it!). I noticed some tiny buds early in the year & the last week, it has just unfolded! I check it out every morning, when I'm walking around looking at the Japanese maples...I love this time of year! Linda

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

A. hippocastanum

Thumbnail by Resin
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

More A. hippocastanum

Thumbnail by Resin
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I felt the same way last Fall with the buckeyes of OSU football team, they looked pretty dead. But I left them alone and now they have bloomed again in beautiful form of OSU Basketball team. Hope springs eternal.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Aesculus turbinata, yesterday at Dawes.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That was pretty sci-fi looking, eh? Here's another.

scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And Aesculus sylvatica, Painted Buckeye.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Scott,
Great Shots!

The first photo of Aesculus turbinata reminds me very much of Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

As a kid, that movie scared the poop out of me. I bet I didn't sleep for a week after I watched it.
Mike

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

You can almost hear the crinkling and crackling noises at those buds opened to reveal a scaley, creepy alien!

Scott

Since the real Buckeyes were frozen out by Florida...let's get some botanical buckeyes back front and center.

Some that didn't die in the latest cold spell (at my parents' place on a dreary Easter eve)...Aesculus glabra.

Another angle...

Heads up...

And end on...

How about red?

Aesculus pavia, if you please.

Peoria, IL

I'll make my hasty contribution then retire to springtime anonymity. More A. pavia from the Dawes.

Thumbnail by malusman
Peoria, IL

And a fine grouping of A. x carnea 'Ft. McNair' at some little college town that lured me into visiting their arboretum as I was passing by.

Regards,
Ernie

Thumbnail by malusman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.