Clematis accidentally cut to the ground

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

When my mother was having her yardwork done, she asked the people to cut her Hostas to the ground. They also cut all her very old jackmanii clematis clean to the ground, and removed all the vines from the trellis.

Will the plant recover? The roots seem to be undisturbed. She's pretty upset, as the vines have been growing there for years.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Marsha

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I would think it will recover just fine. But Jeanne is the expert here. I am sure she will be able to answer this. I have one clematis that has been chopped to the ground had the roots disturbed and actually is coming back again this year.

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Jackmanii is a prunning group 3 meaning hard prune in the spring. It should do just fine.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

it will probably bloom like crazy this year ! And Jeanne would say put some tomato or rose fertilizer on it. :)

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I did this last year to my clematis Henryi. I cut it off right down to the base (accidentally pruned the wrong stem) early last Spring. By mid summer it was already halfway back up the trellis and in the fall it actually had one perfect flower. This year, it's already covering the trellis with lots of new shoots. So I'm sure yours will be fine, too!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I am farrrrrrrrr from being an expert..can only share my experiences and what has worked for me...Your clematis "Jackmanii" should come back ...do as Tootsie said..fertilize and water and see...Jeanne

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for your info/encouragement! We're having a pretty hard cold snap here, but when the weather gets better, I'll be over there fertilizing, watering, and hoping.

Marsha.

(PS, isn't the only difference between a novice and an expert experience?) ;)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I had a garden helper chop all of my clematis to the ground this winter and ALL of them are back and with more stems. I was terrified before they came back of course. They look great and are even blooming, even all of my type II.

The silly helper maintained that someone had come and stolen my clematis. LOL Needless to say he was given his walking papers.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Marsha, you have nothing to worry about. The rabbits have chewed mine to the ground in the past -- only to cause them to produce more sprouts. You'll end up with more blooms near the bottom of the plant as well.

Last winter my Asao got clobbered by a rabbit. It came back with a vengeance -- and so did the rabbit, but only to run head-on with chicken wire!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Jackmanii is a very hardy Clematis and it will come back. Just keep it well watered, fertilized and mulched. It should be fine.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I had no idea about the tomato or rose fertilizer on the clematis... thanks for the tip.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

My Lawn guys...his father can't speak English ..cut the top vine of my clematis "Dr. Ruppel" almost to the ground because it had brown leaves!!..well that bugger is back with a vengence..pruning encourages growth on theses babies for sure!!..yup Rose or Tomato Fertilize...high middle number "P"...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.