Edging recommendation

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend something to use for the front edging in a perennial flower bed. The bed contains trees, shrubs, daylilies and several different perennials and bulbs. I'm looking for something that blooms as long as possible! I know annuals are the best for summer long bloom, and have used them for years. But I'm trying to work more on this particular bed now and want more perennials than annuals. So, anyone have any recommendations, maybe including the bloom time you get with it? The area is basically full sun. I've considered that very pretty blue lithodora 'Grace Ward'. It seems like it might bloom for quite awhile, but not all summer. Anybody have experience with it? Also saw some violas called 'Penny Azure Wing' that were very pretty, but not sure how long they bloom or if they will become invasive. Also, pictures of any edging you have used that you like are MOST welcome! ;o)
Thank you,
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

No advice or suggestions?
Sherry

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

How about campanula blue clips or white clips? They're long blooming, clump nicely, and don't spread too agressively.

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

I second campanula. They'll bloom all season - just keep deadheading. They smell nice, too. I grow then along one side of my fence, in front of the lobelias.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi Sherry,
I have campanula poscharskyanna as an edging plant. I just took this pic and it is not quite in bloom. It blooms all summer and fall. It is very pretty. I also have plumbago (not sure species) mixed in with it. It also blooms very pretty bright blue flowers all summer. It is in the picture too. Just coming up.
agebhart

Thumbnail by agebhart
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi, Sherrygirl - just about any type of ajuga reptans (carpet bugle) does very well in all types of conditions and loves the sun. Here is one edging my stream - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I didn't think about ajuga - I have it edging a few beds, and even when it's not blooming I love the color

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

If Sedum or Hens and Chicks grow in your area, they make nice front borders. The ones with the red or marroon in the leaves keep the color year round. The flowers are subtle, but the plant itsef will look like flowers of a type and vary the texture of the bed.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I just put in a couple of lithiodora 'Grace Ward', at the front of some beds & also in containers, so I can't give you an opinion yet. Some things I've used that have done well are thyme, snapdragons (yes, an annual, but they overwinter just fine here & bloom for a long time), lambs ears & heucheras (in sun & shade, respectively) have been evergreen here.

I also put some pansies (Skyline Copperfield), along with some hellebores & pachysandra procumbens, in a small raised bed under a huge maple in front-terrible soil, no supplemental watering, & they look better now than when I planted them last fall-I'll definitely look for this variety again in the fall. I've planted some violas, 'Coconut Sorbet' along the edges of beds & in containers, but don't expect them to last long once it warms up....

Rockton, PA

I have a Coreopsis 'nana' that is about 15" that blooms a long time as well as Nepeta 'blue wonder' ablout 10" that blooms a lot. There are some veronicas that are low that will give you a lot of bloom with haircuts.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Coreopsis Zanfar is also low growing and spreading. The flower petals have a folded appearance. almost forming an oval tube. Very handsome plant.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Another flower type that I like is Gallairdia Fanfare. It has also an interesting petal form, but doesn't spread as well and is a bit taller than a 'groundcover', but would lood nice if you have front border stones and taller plants behind it. Another Gallairdia that i like is Sunset. It self seeds for me here as does Fanfare.

Frankfort, KY

I used liriope.

Rockton, PA

Yes the gailardia are good bloomers and reseed well . Goblin is a very low on also.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I use begonia 'braveheart'. It works wonderfully and bloomes all season long, in either sun or shade, without supplemental watering. You can't beat it IMHO!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.