heuchera needs

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Should heuchera be fertilized? If so, how often and what should I use?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I don't do anything to my Palace Purples, and they not only thrive, but multiply so much my wife wants me to move them.

Maybe she can offer them here in a plant trade. Do you know what ph they prefer?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

We have quite acid soil. Although one book tells me that Heuchera's like moist shade, ours are doing fine in all day shade and soil that while not perfectly dry is not moist either.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I think most of them, although Palace Purple is not on the list, need excellent winter drainage where water won't collect near their crowns. Plant them on sort of a hill. This is especially true for the amber-orange colored ones.

Regarding ph, I live in Indiana (home of limestone and high phs) and they grow well here, too.

Regarding fertilizer, I just mostly use compost, but have been known to throw out 12-12-12 like birdseed. If you do this, you know not to let it fall in the heart of the crown, right? (I use a hose after I throw it out to flush out things like lilies, heuchera, kniphofia, anything with a funnel-shaped crown, but usually d it in late March when things are just coming up because I don't have the compost down yet.)

My 2¢,

Suzy

thanks folks. I probably will give them a shot of lime and I gave them Black Kow already.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.