Cool Nursery north of Asheville

Weaverville, NC

If your looking for Conifers, or plants for trough gardens in the WNC area 'Mountain Meadows Nursery' should be at the top of your list. They are a collectors dream come true, and offer a great introduction for those of us less knowledgible about those types of plants i.e. Dwarf,Miniature,and Unusual.
You can find them on the plant files link. Located just North of Weaverville NC.
Michael Balogh the owner is the previous President of the South-East Region of ACS (American Conifer Society) and was very helpful and informative during and after my visit. Just wanted to pass the info on to those of you who prefer not to shop at LOWES.

~Happy Gardening

Thumbnail by sunburnt247
Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Sunburnt,

I surely do not like to shop at Lowe's for plants!! That looks like a real nifty place that I could learn a lot in. On one of my trips down that way, I will stop. We don't have anything like that in Ohio that I know of. I'll be moving to an area a little farther east in NC in June. YEA!! Thanks for posting.

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

We can't grow conifers down here in the tropics but I do love to look at them and that sounds like a place I would love to visit and drool. Thanks for sharing.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia or Sunburnt,

What would be the very best selections of conifers that you WOULD see in a backyard in this region? Name some mostly on the small side, but desirable in your opinion, okay? Is there a list at all? LOL 8-(

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, I am probably not the one to answer this, it is just too warm down in my corner of the Carolinas. I hope Sunburnt will chime in for you.

It probably will depend how far "east of Asheville" you will be. The further east you go the warmer it gets.

In checking the "Southern Gardener's Book of Lists" I noticed there were few conifers listed aside from the usual cedars.

alice

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I second sunburnt's recommendation of Mountain Meadows; we went there a while back for one conifer, came home with 4! The place is beautiful, and the plants healthy with mind-boggling variety. Greenthumb, I'd suggest you check out their website and maybe send an email to Michael Balogh asking for suggestions; he really is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

I thank everyone for their help. 8-))

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.