Time to show off those daffodils!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Nothing confirms in my heart the return of spring like the site of daffodils. Naturalized colonies of Narcissus pseudonarcissus are blooming, reminding me of the generations of gardeners before that have also been delighted with those cheerful blooms. Lets see those pics, up close and in the garden, of all those Narcissus, and what looks pretty with them in your garden!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This is one I saved from my childhood garden, which was crowded, shaded, and doomed for mowing. I think it is 'Peeping Tom'. I love the ones with really long trumpets!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Old, cheap, reliable, and IMHO, unbeatable. 'Ice Follies'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

These split coronas have been showy and have stood up well in rain. The coronas have faded to cream now, but are lemony yellow for the first few days. Lovely at all stages!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

You can see the one on the left was first to open and is paler yellow.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

'Jack Snipe' is a little charmer.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I had'nt realized till this year that the yellow of the cup bleeds a little onto the petals.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Have'nt got my data transferred to this puter yet, so I'm not sure what this pretty pink is at the moment. I love that it opens apricot/pink instead of yellow turning to pink. The green eye is nice too.

Could be 'Pink Charm' . I know I got that one from Brent&Beckys the same year I got several other pinks,.... but it says mid-late bloomer. Hmmmm.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2007 4:12 PM

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Its great to see these 'Mt.Hood' again. They were also at my Mothers house, no longer blooming, till year before last. I'm getting lots of surprises with all those daffs blooming for the first time this year in this garden.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

They are soooo long lasting.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I believe this is 'Spellbinder'. The way the trumpet pales to nearly white makes them appear to glow.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

'Professor Einstein' has nice coloring, but the weak stems flop anywhere I've grown it.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Even floppy, they still look pretty with these 'Blue Jacket' Hyacinths.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Alexander, AR(Zone 7b)

Planted these bulbs last fall in the little strip of grass between our sidewalk and the street. Daffodils, grape hyacinths, and tulips. I can't wait for them to mulitply and fill in. It was so pretty to see this splash of color driving down the street. It's a new subdivision, and no one has really done anything with their yards. People were slowing down to look at the colors! I also planted a row of daffodils along the driveway, too. My mother did this at the house I grew up in. Brings back memories!

Thumbnail by chef_tish
Alexander, AR(Zone 7b)

Here's the driveway daffodils.

Thumbnail by chef_tish
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is a cedar planter full of a daffodil mix I purchased last fall so I don't know their names...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

...and a closeup of the beauties.

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Here is a well established clump of "Geranium".

Thumbnail by pardalinum

A mixed cedar planter.

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Charming mixed cedar planter, pard! I can't wait for 'Geranium' to bloom here- the scent is wonderful.

chef_tish, it will be fun to watch those multiply; they always amaze me how fast they turn to thick clumps. Clumps lined up along the edge of the yard brings back childhood memories for me too. I think that is one of the reasons I love them so much :)

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

This is my favorite white daffodil. I don't know the name but they increase automatically year after year.

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You're doing well with the daffs neal, love Pink Charm! Looks like you have plenty to dig up for the move..

Pard, the 'beauties' are sure beauties, wish they had a name, I could do with some of those!

goldenfish, I don't know the name of yours but they are lovely, do they have a scent? They could be a Tazetta Narcissus, if you look at the online shop there are some pics but not enough. I have been looking again at this site, all the ones which make me gasp are the most expensive!

http://www.qualitydaffodils.co.uk/classifications.php

http://www.qualitydaffodils.co.uk/home.php?cat=3

Part of a mix, still in a large tub

Thumbnail by wallaby1
scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

These are the pink ones, but they open yellow and then fade to pink.

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

They remind me of Salome, Byndeweed, but mine are much later.

I took this shot yesterday of Rip Van Winkle which seems to increase rapidly, I started with only 2 or 3 and have moved some. On th ebank wiht an assortment of aquilegia foliage, Ipheion, etc.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Gem--so happy you started a thread devoted exclusively to Daffs. My favorite spring flower!

Here are my 'Pink Charms'--first year for them in our garden.

Thumbnail by tabasco

We planted about 50 'Pink Charms' with Tulip 'Flaming Purissimo'--next year I think we need to add some blue hyacinths to the mix. I am always trying to make combinations...

Thumbnail by tabasco

Neal,

Some of these little beauties are from the bulbs you sent me last fall.... almost all of those came up.

Thumbnail by tabasco

Here are more 'lent lilies' from your grouping...

Thumbnail by tabasco

I can't recall the name on this one, but I'm sure someone here will recognize it...

Thumbnail by tabasco

And I'll have to look up the name of this cutie too.

Thumbnail by tabasco

This is a 'show' daffodil sent to me by a member of the Southwest Ohio Daffodil Society to grow for the show this spring. I guess I can't show it this year--the event isn't for two more weeks.

It comes from this list--I'm not sure which one.

1 Little Ruby; 2W-R USA 1999 Reed10 Monticello 1W-Y 1972 Panill
4 Irish Coffee 3Y-YYO USA 1967 Mitsch
6 Uncle Duncan 1Y-O England 1991 Pearson
6 Tru 3W-WWy Australia 1989 Jackson
5 Broadway Village 2Y YRR England 1985 Postles
1 (double) Chicken Hill 1YYW-WWY
16 Ben Avon 1W-W England 1978 Lea
Tyson's Corner 3W-GYR 1988 Pannill

(ID-ed as 'Chicken Hill' by Illoquin)

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by tabasco

And yet another bloom from the 'show list'...

"Uncle Duncan"

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 7:47 AM

Thumbnail by tabasco

I wish I had more of this one. Came in a white doubles mix from Sheepers.

Thumbnail by tabasco

I thoroughly enjoy looking at everyone's daffs-- so many exquisite blooms and they are so bright and cheerful in the garden on these gray days (here, at least)...

Thanks for posting your pics!

Thumbnail by tabasco
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

How great!- daffodil lovers from around the globe!

Byndeweed, yours look like my Salome that have all just opened and the yellow is just starting to fade.

Wallaby, RVW is such a fun little gem. They remind me a bit of naturalized doubles growing along the creek and down my drive. I have to remember to take some when I move my bulbs!

t, you're Pink Charm looks like a match to mine, and I love them with the Purissimo tulips. Some soft blue would be wonderful with them. I've grouped Toronto and Quebec tulips with Katie Heath daffodils hoping for something similar to what you've achieved there; great minds! The show daffs are beautiful, and I love that odd double from your mix. Looks like just the petals are doubled, but the cup is in tact.

Here is another of my yet to be IDd pinks. It came from Brent and Beckys, but it does'nt look like they're selling it this year. Getting some kind of error message with my garden data-figuring it out is totally not my department, LOL. Anyhow, the color is too pale, but the ruffles are beautiful.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Had to go snap a few more. This warm weather is bringing new ones every day. Unfortunately the blooms are not lasting very long this year either. That's quite alright, I'll take the warmth!

'Chromacolor' burst into bloom practically over night!

This message was edited Mar 31, 2007 1:14 PM

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the deep salmon color in 'Decoy'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

'Sound' is one of the most cheerful to me.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

They remind me of eggs, sunny side up.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Tobasco, The first one is Chicken Hill that hasn't reversed yet and the second s a poorly colored Uncle Duncan.

I am waiting until the sun throws some shadows to take my pictures -- I am not nearly as far along as you and Gemini_Sage, tho.

Suzy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.