'Dancing Queen' sported offset.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I know you aren't going to believe me. I know me better than you do, and I have doubts.....;-)

This is the first time this offset of 'Dancing Queen' has flowered and it looks like this:

Thumbnail by raydio

I *know*!

I find it hard to believe, too.

Thumbnail by raydio

It looks so much like an Oriental lily. I keep expecting to smell that wonderful scent.

Another flower just a bit behind in opening.

Thumbnail by raydio

Weird and wonderful.

R.

Thumbnail by raydio

The closest thing I can find to this is 'Elvas'. Have I accidentally discovered where 'Elvas' came from?

There is a little possibility that the offset came from 'Aphrodite'. Very slight chance, but possible.

That would make better sense colorwise, wouldn't it?

Does anyone with 'Elvas' have pix of the tepal backs or does anyone know if they have color on them as this one does?

R

No response.......I knew you'd think I was nuts...............

Full open:

Thumbnail by raydio
Mobile, AL

Okay....

It is definitely NOT Elvis.

It could possibly be Aphrodite, and may even Double Record, but my guess would be Aphrodite.

Both Double Record and Aphrodite as well as the many other doubles are so variable depending on age and condition, that it is very hard to tell you for sure...

It is definitely NOT Dancing Queen...

Hope that is good news and not bad news...

Ann

I'm open to figuring this one out, whatever the final word is.

My other double, bought a few years ago, which is going to bloom in a coupla weeks, is (I think) Aphrodite. It could only be an offset of that one if it isn't from Dancing Queen.

The reason I'm not sure if it's Aphrodite is that for the last two seasons, something has prevented it from blooming. (Stag-rot on scape.) So I haven't seen it for at least 3 years and don't recall it clearly. I think that was what the garden center had in the way of doubles that year, DQ and Aphrodite. Possibly Double Record......but not Elvas. I mentioned Elvas as the closest thing to the look of it to anything on the market.

Mysterious.

R.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here's a pic of my Elvas. Your flower is gorgeous!

Sue

Thumbnail by kniphofia

Kniph~

Looks like what I have.......makes me wonder again, if Elvas is a sport of another hybrid......not that I can legitimately call mine Elvas, but it does look a lot like it. The color being on the lower portion of the tepals with only the picotee on the tips........

It may be that the bulb isn't as old as my Aphrodite (?), but the foliage isn't as thick as on Aphrodite, whose leaves seem especially thick and rubbery.

Is you Elvas in bloom now? Can you post or send me any pix showing the markings better, maybe opening it a bit for the pic?

Great pic, BTW!

R.

I'm calling this 'Shalimar'.

Another flower I never tire of looking at.

Thumbnail by raydio

One more.

Thumbnail by raydio
Cedar Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's one my Elvas showing back also. Is that what you wanted?
geekgranny=alice

Thumbnail by geekgranny
Cedar Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

And another view of Elvas.
geekgranny=alice

Thumbnail by geekgranny
Cedar Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

One more shot Elvas
geekgranny=alice

Thumbnail by geekgranny

Oooh, yes, thanks GG=Alice !! :-)

That's a lovely 'Elvas' you have there! Isn't it a joy to look at it?!

I can see similarities between my 'Shalimar' and 'Elvas', but differences too. I'll be looking at pix of 'Elvas' more closely from now on to see how they vary one from another, and comparing them to my sported bulb as well.

R.

Hi Robert, sorry it's taken me a while to reply. All my Elvas pics were on my old computer so I had to transfer them over. This is a plant I had in bloom 2 years ago. I got some nice shots though so here are a couple for you.

Your plant is really lovely.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

Another view, from the back.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

Hi Kniph~

Thanks for the pix.

It's a mystery, but when my supposed-to-be 'Aphrodite' blooms, maybe I'll know a bit more.......

I still remember taking the offset from 'Dancing Queen' but you know, I could have gotten it wrong......

Anywho, 'Shalimar' is different from 'Elvas', this year anyway. My 'Elvas' is starting to open and the buds look different form what I have seen in 'Shalimar'.

R.

OK. So here's where I have to face my muddled so-called mind.

The bulb I had tagged as Probably Aphrodite is opening now and it is a single! Until it opens some more, I have only a notion at this point as to what it is, and I don't recall buying that one, or ever seeing it blooming and looking like it does. I will post pix for ID.

I guess (lol) this isn't the clump I took the offset from and now it looks like what I'm calling 'Shalimar' may be the original motherbulb Aphrodite, even though it looks different from what we expect from a model Aphrodite.

O well...........

R.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.