Mexican Petunia GONE!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Yall see this thread on what I did today!!
Donna

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/706483/

Donna, what is cotton rose?

I like my mexican petunias except for the tall purple. I've been working on digging them out. Now, I will say I do like the plant, just not where I had it. Pins has one and it looks so lovely in her garden, and bloomed so nicely. Mine looked scrubby and ragged.
I have a tall pink which is lovely in the "hell strip", and dwarf white and pink which I adore under the brugmansia. But they do spread!

GGG

GG
confederate rose I meant, blooms white then pink. Now I have a bed for a good bit of my salvia's.
Ya got any picture's of combination planting with salvia's?

White kind of salvias?
I got salvias galore, lol! My new yellow are starting to make "babies" and were just planted in a brand new bed. The new purple hopefully go in this weekend...

Fruit sage with white brugs. They brugs are harder to see, they were small then. It is a nice combo of flower shapes and color.

Just below the clematis are some little salvia slippers.

a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">

More of the salvia and clematis:

same salvia with mini-daffs

thats about all I have!

GG
do that again, can't view

I forgot you can't do photobucket here.
Please just slosh thru the photobucket album for girlgroupgirl
You'd view 2004 and 2005. I hardly took any photos last year.

Photobucket ID is girlgroupgirl

GGG

This message was edited Apr 3, 2007 10:20 PM

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Donna,
Oh No!!! Are you all talking about this plant? I hope not, I ordered it and am waiting for delivery. If it is the same plant you are talking about I am going to have to find a new place for it.

http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/purple_showers_tall_mexican_petunia_ruellia_plants_hummingbird_favorite_.html

chris

Onalee's description says that it does not produce seed and there is NO WORRY about it spreading anywhere. Also says that it DOES root easily, so that I can add them exactly where I do want them.
I really hope this is a different variety.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 9:40 PM

They root very easily and spread by stolons. Note that Onalee grows them in sandy soil, that may help to contain them. They LOVE clay :)
In my garden they really did spread, however, as I said they are particularly lovely in Pins garden, and a few other gardens I have seen. Site it where you can dig up bits you don't want wandering, or give it a nice place to spread.

GGG

Do you still have them, or did you eventually dig them out also? Might just be easier to call it a loss now instead of the regret of planting them. I was trying to be nice to the hummers but they would be next to my garden and I dont want to have to weed them out of my tomato and cucumbers. I am going to look up "stolens" to see if they are the underground things that spring up all over, (like vinca) if they are...that will be a problem. I will rethink their new home and see if I have a spot that will let them spread without causing me a headache. I dont really think I do though. At least not with full sun.
Thanks GGG,
chris

Cordele, GA

I have not found that sandy soil contains them. I have no problem with seedlings but it produces prolifically by stolens. I have been digging and pulling for two years now. I can say that it is less prolific than rattlesnake weed, which seems to multiply like bacteria on a culture plate.

Beth

Yes Chris you've order what I trash out! Though I have more where I don't mind them to spread! Plant them in the worst soil you have & where they can spread. Mex Petunia does make a beautiful show in the fall.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I dig, pull, spray with roundup and still have these things take over...Find you a spot that you can just let them grow freely, they are very pretty...I let them and Clerodendrum bungei
grow as they please all around my chicken pen..

Larkie

A good plant for the deer to eat!!

Larkie, how big of a spot would they need to "grow freely"?
A little more info everyone before I make the decision please. Will an edging or border keep them contained or will they go under and over. Will they grow into the grass? I have only 1 great spot for them, but it is part shade. If they are not happy there then ..........I guess round up would be the option. :( With all that said, I am still thinking about just giving them away to someone.
chris

This message was edited Apr 2, 2007 7:16 AM

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

They will go over, under and all around, lol..

Larkie

Ok, thats it! They are going to be gifted. Wow, they are listed as a noxious or invasive in Fla. I dont see how Onalee can state that there is "no worry of them spreading". So far I have been happy with the rest of the things I bought from her. Thanks for all the info. I am really glad I saw your thread Donna before I received and planted these.
chris

Chris,
Your welcome, I'm glad I spare you!!
I don't know if I would even give them to my worst emeny!! lol!
Donna

LOL, exactly what I was thinking. Sounds like giving someone Kudzu. It looks so pretty and the hummers were gonna love it. OOOOOOOO got an idea...what if I plant it by the lake by the park which is behind the library. It is a big open field surrounded by woods. When noone is watching of course. Would that be really wrong or just a little wrong, I dont mind making little mistakes.
chris

Cordele, GA

Kudzu has now made it to Chicago, where it overwinters in protected spots. With global warming, it may make it to Michigan. At which point, if this area is not under a shallow sea, I should be able to grow tropical orchids outside. This has nothing to do with Mexican petunia, just a comment.

Beth

There's always containers for MP! Though I would double pot it. A black nursery pot 3 or 7 gallons will work just fine. Could cut back the roots in the spring. And easier way to keep it under control, an still enjoy it's beauty!
Donna

Donna,
Great idea, I was feeling guilty getting rid of these before I even received them. I will keep 1 of the 3 plants that I ordered. What would be the shallowest pot I could use? I have some things that I was playing with hypertufa, they are 1' x 2' but only 5-6" high. Do you think this would work? Donna you definetly made me smile :) cause I really wanted these, but that "invasive" word scared the heck out of me.
chris

How would everyone catagorize 4 oclocks? Invasive like the petunia or not as bad..or worse? Has anyone dug them up and trashed them?
chris

Chris you made need a deeper container, maybe something the size of a 3 gallon, altho you could try what you have and always move it if needed. As for 4' oclock I haven't had a problem with them but that not to say I won't in the future. maybe some one might know better about them.
donna

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

4 O'clocks are just as invasive for me, but I am further south.. I had them for years but finally got them all dug out..

Larkie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.