Moss Killer?

Dowagiac, MI

Last year, moss started growing in my garden. Now the entire thing is covered with a blanket of moss. What can I use to kill it? I applied lime last fall, but that did not take care of the problem. In year's past this garden which is about 30 X 30, got a good bit of sun, but there is now a tree that has gotten big enough to shade it, so it stays damp.
Would Round-Up work? Any other ideas?
blpender

I grow carnivorous plants and from time to time I have problems with algae. I have used the Safer's product. I suspect that would work on moss too.

It's in here somewhere-
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=600

Dowagiac, MI

Thanks, I'll check it out.
blpender

Forgot to mention that RoundUp won't work.

Dowagiac, MI

Ooooooh, that's good to know. Thanks.
blpender

Dowagiac, MI

I spoke to a very knowlegable person at an Indiana Garden Center yesterday.
He said that, while it is not labeled as such, Ammonium Sulfate will kill the moss. He said that the moss should be sprinkled with the product during a time when no rain is expected, and that by coming in contact with the granules, the moss will die. He did indicate that after it's demise, I should rake up the moss and dispose of it to help prevent any spores from germinating.
I'm going to give it a try. It was very inexpensive.
blpender

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Iron sulfate works too.

Dowagiac, MI

Good to know, thank you. BTW, I had to sign for the Ammonium Sulfate. I guess maybe they thought I was going to make explosives out of it.
blpender

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

You may also want to work on air circulation.
Shady

Dowagiac, MI

We have big winds here, and this area is not protected by any sort of wind barriers. I didn't have a problem with this area until a tree grew large and started shading it. I do probably water it more than I should, and I expect this could be part of the problem as well.
blpender

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.