Fig Tree

I know this may have been discussed elsewhere but I can't find it. I was thinking I would like to try to grow a fig tree. I don't know if I'm too far north or if I have enough sun in my yard. I know for a fact that there is no way I could wrap very tall tree for the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a variety to try and any tips? Thanks.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You can try them in a container that you can bring into an unheated garage. "Chicago Hardy" is rated for zone 6 if you want to try one in the ground. There are a few others too.

Thanks Victorgardener. I don't have a garage. I don't think an partially enclosed patio would be warm enough for a potted tree. I have looked into a few varieties but I was wondering if any of them were on the short side so I could insulate them. Do they stay smaller when potted? Or maybe I'm dreaming.

Well supposedly, the hardier ones will survive in the ground. You can try them in a sunny, sheltered part of the garden.

Thanks again. After reading about growing fig trees I'm almost as psyched as growing tomatoes.

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi, Elsie,

I ordered a Celeste fig from the Paradise Nursery: http://www.paradisenursery.com/index.html. Their web site has a lot of info re: growing figs. But, they're closing soon, so hurry.

And here's another site that I found with fig info: http://www.nafex.org/figs.htm.

I've seen a number of big fig trees in Brooklyn backyards. I think that once they get too big to be wrapped, they survive without wrapping. (Brooklyn, NY is zone 6.)

Good luck with your fig tree!

Loretta

Hi Loretta,

Small, small world. My Dad was just telling me of the fig trees in Brooklyn wrapped up in old rugs. I'm Loretta too!! Don't meet too many Loretta's. I think I'm going to try to find a fig tree around here.

Good luck with your fig tree too!

Loretta

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

So funny! You're right, there aren't too many of us.

elsie, or Loretta, good luck! There are plenty of online sources if you can't find anything locally. I want to try a fig or two myself. I could always use a leaf to cover up! My name is Victor but some call me Loretta. Hee hee.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Let us know how it is going, because I would be interested in learning more.

Northeast Harbor, ME

We grow figs for our Conservatory in pots. Since they need a cold dormancy, I take them outside in September. (you could have them outside all summer) I let them stay outside until mid December. The leaves fall off by that time.That little amount of dormancy has worked for me. We get decent fruit.

One can also prune figs mercilessly. If it gets too big for a house plant, just cut it hard. Even when in leaf.

They can go a long time without water and it'll be best to see how long it can go until the leaves start to flag. That'll give you an idea of how often to water. (a day less than it took for the foliage to droop) Overwatering a potted fig is bad.

What's most fun is that the fruits just appear; they do not flower first.

Here's a photo of mine. I keep them in a standard form. They also just got prune about 3 weeks ago.

You'll have a ball.

Thumbnail by watersedge
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

The fig IS the flower.

Victor - you are too funny. My initials are LC - therefore Elsie. I don't know if I will try a fig tree this summer or maybe next. I really don't know if I have enough sun. I guess if I can grow tomatoes I should be able to grow almost anything.

Dave47, thanks for joining us.

Watersedge, thanks for the info and photo. So are the trees in a warm sunny spot all winter long? It's great to know that I can prune them to keep them smaller.

LC, elsie and Loretta(!!) - If you have enough sun for tomatoes, you're okay for figs.

Hey, Lorettagardener - I may need to make a little room for the figs or they might shade the tomatoes. Did I say I have a small yard? LOL

Thanks, Loretta

It's a good thing everyone on this thread isn't named Loretta - might get confusing.

LG - Loretta's Garden???

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Watersedge, what pretty trees! And thanks for the growing tips.

Dave and Victor (silly rabbit!), I'm surprised that you two experienced gardeners don't have fig trees. I thought it was mandatory in our ethnic group.

Loretta

True - along with tomatoes, garlic and basil. Disgrazia!

Concord, NH

I think that there was something about how someone pruned and wrapped a fig tree for winter in the latest Mother Earth News, which I think is still on the newsstands.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

It's true. I'm a disgrace to my heritage. Never made my own wine either. But I have foraged for wild mushrooms. Although we just called it "goin mushrooming"
Victor, because of my girth, I was going to ask about an extra large leafed fig. Then I realized it could be taken the wrong way. Gave myself a good laugh.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

We planted a fig tree when living in Tucson. Within a few years we had more figs than we could give away, but we had to pick them because they made a smelly mess when the fruit dropped off. After another few years of this, my wife made me git rid of it. We have never been tempted to try one in New England.

Dave - always leave them guessing!

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I leave mine out till October and then put it in the dark, cold sectrion of my cellar. Brought it out a few weeks ago and it's leafing right out. I do the same with Brugmansia & fuschia with great results.I took a course from Steve Silk (http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Go-Creating-Designing-Container/dp/0821257153/ref=sr_1_2/104-7672534-8673546?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175277718&sr=1-2) on overwintering and put his ideas into practice for the first time. MUCH easier than trying to keep plants you love and having them get buggie and leggy before you're ready to put them out for the summer. I just brought everything from the COLD cellar to the warmer cellar under lights and they are POPPING. Will take a picture of the fig later and upload it. It's n where near as full as wateredges but now that I see his, mine will be!!! And I'll have some small ones!

Bseddon, I would ove to see your photos.

I called one of our local garden centers and they will have fig trees in a couple of weeks. I will have to figure out with my Dad where I could put the tree. If I put it in a pot I would have to bring it inside somewhere - yes?

I would bring it to an unheated garage, etc., unless you have a nice sunny, sheltered area that acts like a micro-climate. Being cautious, I would bring it in - especially while young. Good luck!

Victor I think I'm going to have to put it in the ground and insulate it with something. First I have to figure out where I can put it. I have no garage or basement so it will have to stay outside. I'll also see what the garden center suggests.

Just stick with the hardier ones.

I sure to hope that a local place will have the hardier trees. But I shouldn't make that assumption - huh.

Can always check online sources.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

NHBabs . . .yes the April/May 2007 "Giant Garden Issue" of Mother Earth News has an article on growing figs in Connecticut. (the author lives in Ridgefield). His tree looks to be about six foot. He prunes the trunk, wraps it in tape, secures a foot or so of hay with wire around the trunk, stuffs the top part with leaves, wraps all that in burlap., puts a plastic cap on the top, then wraps the tree in plastic. Known people in Hartford and Providence R.I. who said their immigrant dad's did something similiar.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2007 8:16 PM

Too much work for me! Enough other stuff to do. I'll just try a zone 6 rated one and either put it in the ground in a sheltered area or a pot and bring it in.

Victor it does sound like a lot of work. I'm hoping to get the hardiest tree I can find. Then I will have to enlist my brother and father to help me with the location. I think I may get rid of a forsythia, which is way too sprawled out and it's mixed in with another bush. It's in the corner of my yard. It would be sheltered from the wind by my house and my neighbor's shed. But I think it would get enough sun.

I have to go over any changes with my father. Years ago there was a driveway from the road. They had to do away with that driveway and all they did was cover it up. Imagine my surprise when I was trying to dig a patch for watermelons. Almost broke my back. Some gardeners have hard soil and I have asphalt. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.