Miniature Double?

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I've never seen anything like this one before.

Just opening today, but it doesn't look like it will get a lot larger. Can't wait to see it tomorrow or the day after.

I love the rusty-bronze color and the green stripe down the center of the tepals.

Thumbnail by raydio

Tee-ninesy!

Thumbnail by raydio
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

WOW!!!! I love it! Where is it from? Is it a species?
The color reminds me of my coconut orchid-maxillaria tenufolia which is in bloom now. Can't wait for more pics, Robert!

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 4:21 PM

Thumbnail by boojum

This one came to me tagged 'Merengue' from Jacques Amand.

If anyone else got Merengue from them, you might have this one too..........

Sometimes the universe gives me wonderful gifts "just because"!

R.

Smilin' here!

Here's my Merengue for comparison.
Whatcha got there raydioman? :-)

Thumbnail by

Something wonderful!

Here's an "official" Double Merengue and that's not it either........guess that name's out, lol.

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Hippeastrum/cultivars/H_Double_Merengue/Double_Merengue.html

It's the size that amazes me the most!

It looks like Jacques picked you one of his pickled peppers from the experimental zone on his French farm extraordinaire.
He's probably wondering where he stashed the two-headed aulicum/merengue dwarf he's been breeding for the last thirty years - and here it is sitting on your patio table!
Life is certainly loaded with surprises.
Looks like heap big vegetative wampum to me! :-)

He'll have to pry it out of my cold, bloody hand--LOL!

Or maybe it's worth what "three-headed amaryllis" is...............

Not much change so far today. It closed up during the night, the shy little thing.

R.

All so wonderful. I got my Merengue as a surprise from a bin in a farm and garden nearby. I had the same feeling-what is this?!! I didn't even know about cybisters at the time.

Boojum~

Meant to to ask before about the pretty orchid: does it smell like coconut?

I have 'Sharry Baby' that smells like chocolate.

Together, they're Almond Joy or Mounds. Mmmmmmmm.

Yup. The coconut orchid. I love Almond Joy. Maybe I should finally get Sharry Baby! Is it blooming now?

No. :-(

It bloomed last year in winter, maybe January (?). I repotted it in a mix with fairly large bark chunks in it and it hasn't done as well. Has hardly done anything since, so I'm thinking the mix is just too light. I thought the mix before was a little too heavy (had some root rot) and may have over-compensated. It's easy to grow though.

Maybe I should head over to the Orchids forum.......

If I had both plants, I'd be craving some "Turtles" or something all the time!

R.

They've opened a little more. Looks like someone stuffed the petals down inside.

Thumbnail by raydio

The outside.

R.

Thumbnail by raydio

I'm looking forward to this revelation!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

raydio - Could ya hurry it up?? I can't wait to see the full bloom LOL!! :-) Actually, I think I have one that looks like this.... but I need to see yours fully open. It's smaller than the rest of my amaryllis too. It was a trade with someone and not sure what I have so this could solve the mystery! I'll post a pic once I see yours fully open! :-)

LAKelley2~

I wish I *could* hurry it up. I've been gently pushing back the tepals to get a better look at the cental stripe and the veins on each side. I'm worried now that it might have a disposition of never opening fully....oh, that would be terrible. I'm hoping it's just a matter of time, that maybe the blossoms take their time but will unfurl eventually.

That pic showing the inside of the blossom looking folded up worries me. Hoping that they'll expand even though they remain "crimped"......

I'll keep you posted.

Has yours bloomed this season? What color is it? Any pix?

Robert.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Robert - Yes, yes, and yes! LOL Mine are planted outside. I received a bunch of different kinds of amaryllis bulbs in a trade and just plopped them in a plot. The lady I traded with had them labeled and everything and I stupidly took the labels off (don't ask me why I did that??? bonking self on head!!!!!). I don't really know a lot about amaryllis, so I could possibly have a minature here and don't even recognize it. I'll post some pics when I get home from work! :-) Good luck on getting your bloom open!!!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, I'm home! Let's see if I can post these...

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

This one's not that good but it's the only pic of the entire plant

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's another

Thumbnail by LAKelley2

LAKelley~

That's a cute little red Hippi. I'd say that's a mini. Thanks for sharing it.

Here's my mini-double today. Opening up now to show the markings better. It's filled out to 4" now.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2007 2:20 PM

Thumbnail by raydio

Single petal.

Thumbnail by raydio

It's a beauty!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

raydio, what a wonderful color, it has the depth and richness of a Chinese red. It must mean you will have good luck! Or you were just lucky enough to acquire this little beauty. Patti

I'll take all the fortuitousness I can get!

How the lucky double looks at the end of today:

Thumbnail by raydio

It looks like this is a hybrid named 'Unique'.

A fitting name, to be sure.

R.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Robert - Ahhhh,,,,, it's a DOUBLE! Ok, I'm a little slow here! I've never seen a double in person! Keep posting your pics!!

Tres unique!

I don't want this one to finish blooming. I never tire of looking at it.

The mature width is 4.5 - 5 inches.

I'm so glad this mistake happened!

Thumbnail by raydio

Tres Unique, c'est vres!

Thumbnail by raydio

One more.

Thumbnail by raydio

Raydioman...You have a little treasure there...
Why not check back with Jaques' site and see if anything comes close? I'd also try Ludwig.
Bravo! Enjoy!

Gordo~

As far as I can tell, it's the one named 'Unique'. I looked at Jacques' site, but it isn't offered there.

I was going to write to Jacques and ask about it, then I found pictures of 'Unique' in my collection and made the ID.

I'll let it go at that, unless you're saying that what I have is different from 'Unique'?

Here's some discussion of 'Unique':
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/amaryllishippeastrum/msg0112250220013.html
See especially the last pic by A. Soultan.

R.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 5:25 PM

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! Really pretty, Robert!!!!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is just beautiful and very unusual!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.