Vegtable in Containers and type of soild do you use?

Columbus, GA(Zone 5b)

And what sort of varieties are better to use for containers. I attempted to do a search, but got about 500 returns and not all have to qith soil for veggie in containers. thank you

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

For varieties, look for things that say compact or patio or container. Potting mix is preferable to garden soil, you can buy it premixed or make your own. Alot of veggies are suitable for containers-my favorites-tomatoes, peppers, herbs, greens...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I use MG moisture control or regular MG potting soil and add the moisture polymer crystals in the bottom 1/2 of the container. The soil dries out quickly around here and sometimes I forget to water so those little water retaining crystals have save a tomato or two:LOL:

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I like Pro-Mix best but Miracle grow is fine too. I stay away from Scott's soil, too heavy and not enough aeriation and drainage properties for me.

Tom

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

FertiLome makes a very good potting soil, and Pro-Mix is pretty good. Don't buy the Miracle Gro potting soil hoping to get the benefit of any fertilizer it's supposed to contain. It's going to wash out with the first watering. You're much better off buying a non-fertilized potting mix and using FertiSorb to feed the plants. It feeds and holds water at the same time, since it's a polymer which contains fertilizer right in the polymer granule.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Swiss Chard, lettuce, spinach, etc all do well in containers. I've also had eggplants and peppers in containers with luck. You can also do tomatoes but you need to have a BIG container or the plant will stop producing eventually.

I just use regular potting soil and supplement it with some compost!

Good luck!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I think you'll find this article helpful: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1645.html Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.