Grass in My Moss

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi All. Last year I transfered some moss from my woods to the edge of one of my flower beds. I'm surprised how well it's done as the bed is almost in full sun, but even in it's 2nd year it looks pretty good. My biggest problem is the grass that keeps growing through it. Every couple of weeks I'm down on my hands and knees pulling it out. Does anybody have an easier solution? Is there anything that will kill thee grass but not harm the moss? Will the moss eventually get thick enough to stop the grass?

Thanks for any tips or ideas,
La

Santa Maria, CA

Everything depends on what kind of grass it is.
Is the grass coming up by seeds germinating in the moss or is grass coming up from rhizomes buried in the soil?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't tried it but I was told that you put on rubber gloves or a plastic bag over your hand then put an old sock over that. Use round-up or some other type of weed killer. Just dampen your fingers not dripping then pet the weeds you want gone. Don't make them so wet that it will drip. I was told it is a good way to get rid of persistent weeds in an area where you don't want to damage plants growing next to the weed. I will probably be trying this next week I have several types of perennial weeds growing in my moss and I don't want to disturb the moss growth. Has anyone tried this?

Santa Maria, CA

I have read where herbicides such as round up are used on areas of moss to kill weeds. It will kill the moss but apparently the moss will come back while the weeds generally do not.

Santa Maria, CA

Also on the application:
get some of those disposable VINYL gloves. Also recommend getting some of the inexpensive mouth covers. Both available at home improvement centers or perhaps grocers. The herbicide comes in a spray bottle with an adjustable spray pattern from pinpoint to broadcast.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The idea of this application is that you put some protection on your hands and then some absorbent material over that. You spray it onto your hand and then touch just what you want to die, much like petting the plant. No drips or sprays to damage the plants growing close by. But you must protect your hands from the spray with some kind of plastic barrier.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

This sounds like something I'll be trying. I've heard of using a paint brush with Roundup, but it sounds like you can be even more selective with this method.

Jerry, the answer to your question is "both". There is some "woods greenery" (pretty technical, aren't I?) that has sprung up with the moss, and although I'd prefer to not have it there, I can live with that. I had killed back all of the regular grass before I brought the moss in and that's what's coming back up and causing me my biggest headaches.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Lala_Jane,
I have a lot of moss and weeding is a CONSTANT BATTLE. I love it so I tolerate it. We used round up once and just sprayed the whole area, immediately after spraying we went in a very dry summer, we thought we killed it but did not, the next year it was just fine. I have already started weeding my moss this year and I am thinking of throwing down some Preen early to inhibit seed germination in hopes that it will at least cut down on some weeding.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

If you want to pet plants with Roundup or other herbicides, the easiest way is to double glove, use a barrier glove (latex, plastic, "rubber", kitchen, etc) next to your skin and then put a cotton glove on over it. Old dress gloves, knitted gloves, any absorbent cloth glove will work but the "el cheep-o" cotton ones work ever-so-well. Then just dip in your fingers or palm of you hand, depending on the size of the offending plant, and you pet away.

I've also outfitted a gallon milk jug onto the end of a spray wand when I needed to do some spot applications of herbicide and wanted absolute control. Only you have to remember to W A I T after each spraying to allow droplets to run off the inside of the jug or you risk drips where you don't want it. Drips might or might not be a problem depending on surrounding vegetation.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

baagrant,
I've heard about using the jug and spraying, but hadn't thought about the run off! Thanks for mentioning that!
Shady

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for all the great ideas folks. If it ever warms up here again I'll be giving some of them a go.

La

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.