A very cool Backsplash idea...

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

I was looking for something different and unique to put on the backsplash of a small bar area I have in my home. This turned out to be absolutely stunning and for crafty do-it-yourselfers, could be an amazing project. I know it's not everybody's taste, but could also be done a little more sedate! haha.

I met this talented local gal who does mosaic and tile work and basically told her that she could go-to-town on this one! It was actually built on 3 boards that she made a template for (wall plugs etc) and later just attached the finished boards to the wall.

She used every type of natural material you could think of. Crystals, broken pieces of marble and granite, broken pieces of vases, old jewelery findings, mosaic tiles, some crosses (we call it the "confessional bar" hahaha). She also didn't use any tile grout but instead grouted with strings of seed-pearls, beads etc...She later installed some little metal rails from the bottom of the upper cabinets and hung a few clumped strands of crystals that just added some ooooomph!!!

I love the way it turned out...and unfortunately the pictures don't do it justice. However, it gives you a good idea of the composition and how relatively easy it would be to do this, if you had the time and patience. People who have walked into my house and haven't seen it before are just in awe!

Just thought I would share it as it's so unique and a great way to Jazz-up an otherwise boring wall! Hang on to those broken pots, vases, tiles, etc.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 1:37 AM

Thumbnail by KatG
This thread has 56 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!