Hyacinth Disease?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 8a)

Even though almost all of my hyacinths had big beautiful blooms last week, about 15% of them exhibit this browning at the tips of the leaves. (I had just deadheaded
this one before I took the photo) Is it a disease? What can I do to prevent it next year?

Thumbnail by Goodgoods
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

There is a bacterial disease of Hyacinths called "yellow disease". I don't know if that's what you have or not. I noticed all the lesions on the leaves and thought of rust, but can't find a hyacinth rust. Does your problem fit this description?
"Yellow disease of hyacinth. Initially, small dark green spots develop on leaves, which may coalesce and develop into streaks, mainly at the leaf margin. Streaks blacken to produce a distinctive 'black rim'. On bulbs, bacterial exudate can be seen between scales, which appear glassy and discoloured. Wet and windy weather, generally followed by dry, hot periods, increases the disease incidence. Similarly, frost, mist and hail can induces similar effects. Bacterial entry into healthy plants is generally through natural openings such as hydathodes and stomata or through wounds. Between 0.7-2.4% of hyacinth bulbs can be infected with yellow disease The disease can be controlled by heat-treating the bulbs or the application of bactericidal foliar sprays. TRANSMISSION: By the movement of infected bulbs. Localised spread by the action of wind-blown water droplets, animal movements and the use of infected tools and bulb sorting equipment."

Thinking about your problem, I think you should send a sample in to your land grant college for ID. Call your County Extension agent and ask for directions on how to do this.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 8a)

Bingo! It's not a disease- it prolly came from a nasty freeze we had 10 days ago. By the way, I think the lesions you refer
to are really mud splatters of our beautiful red clay! My concern was with the distinct yellow-brown tips. Now I think that the super cold weather
did it. Thanks!

Good to know! I'm glad everything is OK!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.