New to Cannas... please help!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

hi... I am new at this.... I got some cannas.... can I plant them in pots? I want to be able to keep them in my garage for the winter... or even bring it home.... I have no idea what to do...
please point me on the rigth direction ... threads, good wed sites etc...

I really appreciate your help!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

You can plant them in pots and kepp them outside until after the first frost. Then store them in a cool dark spot til after the last frost of spring.

Did I get it right experts? :)

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks...any secret on planting it??? I got them in bags, can I just take it out of the bag (they have some peat moss in the bag) and plant? do I need to wash it before I plant??? thanks

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Just stick them in about an inch or 2 under the soil and keep them moist, though not wet, and you are good to go. No need to wash them.

Frankfort, KY

I am in Zone 6. I leave my cannas in the ground and they come back every year.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh great to know.... I will leave them in !!!!!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Should I be seeing my cannas yet? I left them in the ground this year for the 1st time and I saw lots of green in January before the ice storm hit SW Missouri but I haven't seen anything now? Should I be worried yet?

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Give them a little time to recover. Mine mostly are still 'thinking about it'.. I have a few that have started peeking out again since the snow. I am sure they are waiting for the ground to warm up again.

Tammie

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

kvjoy, do you mulch them heavily to overwinter? I may try that this next winter with a few in some protected areas. Save the chore of digging them up every fall/winter!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.