Transplanting/dividing perennials in zone 5 NOW???

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

If a perennial has several inches of new growth, would it be safe to dig it up and transplant it, or divide it to transplant? The temp is warm today; but I know it is to turn cold again in a few days, 30's and 40's.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You're pretty close. I've done it in mid April here.

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

I have heard that if it is too late, they may not bloom.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

What kind of perennials are you dividing? I think summer and fall bloomers are fine, spring bloomers I would do right after flowering.

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

I have some soapwart/saponaria (blooms early summer) and various small-leaf creeping thymes. The soapwart is still clumps, just budding; and the thyme is all green and spreading. I don't care if the thyme does not bloom; but I want to get it moved to several areas in our front stone sidewalk. I can probably move the soapwart in large clumps without disturbing it too much. I also have some Dianthus Baths Pink/Cheddars (also early summer blooms) that have developed this huge hump in its center--which we believe is an ant hill. I am really anxious to find out; but this is quite large and will come apart.

What do you think???

I also have a hardy geranium "Biokovo" which is another early summer bloomer. It has become leggy and thin; does not seem to grow and fill out; I think it needs more sun.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 3:17 PM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Tammy - I have only moved the dianthus in that group. I think it was couple inches high and moved fine. Maybe someone else can chime in on the others.

Al

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

In regards to the geranium (Biokovo) unfortunately that is a growing habit of that specific geranium. I trim the leggy parts off ,not 100% about50% . It grows back. The trimmings root half the time if just stuck back in good soil and kept moist . I get almost 100% if I pot them up . I took care of that last week , so it's not too early.

Saint Charles, IL(Zone 5a)

Tammy- every plant you have mentioned will do fine whether it be division or transplanting. Just make sure you get a good root mass. Now is the time to do it. I agree with gardengus regarding the habit of the geraniums. They have a leggy habit,but if cut back by half they flush out again. Hope this helps.

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

THANKS, guys!!!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have transplanted creeping thyme in spring and in early summer, june, and it takes off great. As a matter of fact it is doing too well and I'm going to get rid of some. Anyone want any?

Peggy P

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

Peggy, what kind of creeping thyme is it? How would you send it?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I might want some too, if you have extra,,,,,,

xxxxx, Carrie

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I am not sure which it is. The tag is long lost. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow to post here.

What would be the best way to send the plants?

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

I've never mailed any, but I think Parcel Post or Priority for a smaller package might work, since it is still cool out--UPS for larger, heavier box would be better. You might ask some members that are in the trading forum.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Tammylp

I will ask around, it is an English Thyme. I found the tag. It is about 1-2" tall and has dark pink buds now so I would say it is going to bloom either pink or lt purple.
I didn't have my camera handy when I was out side this weekend. I will put it on my list of things to do in the garden.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Geeez, guys, there is a whole entire long THREAD on how to prepare plants for shipping. I'lll look around and see if I can find it.

xxxxx, Carrie

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

many English thymes are taller; I suppose it does not show a particular cultivar. I would definitely be interested in it if it is the low creeping thyme.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Carrie, I found the thread. I even ordered boxes from USPS just for packing plants in today. : )

Tammylp
Let me pot up some for you and let it recover before I ship it. Send me your addy by DM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dylan, can you link us to the thread?

Thanxxxxxx, Carrie

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Probably not, but it is the first thread in Plant Trading if you go to the forums page. I haven't messed with DG enough to know any of the tricks yet.

Peggy P

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

Peggy, any idea of the cost to send it???

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Nope, not yet. I could bare root it to you if you would like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.