Planting in a semi-lasagna bed - how?

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Removed post to another forum

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 3:21 PM

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Moving posts back over here. There are just a couple of entries on the perennials forum:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/706265/

Any ideas??? This has to do with how deep to plant quart size bought plants through a bed that was built acc. to a description in an attached post on GW - Cardboard over grass, hay, coffee grounds and 2-3 inches of mulch.

Citra, FL

I plant in lasagna gardens all the time. Roses, daylilies, mostly. Where I want to plant a plant, I dig a hole and put a good amount of compost and/or potting soil, so the plant gets a good start and will hold some moisture while the lasagna breaks down. If you plant in soil, the lasagna will break down and settle more than the plant that you planted, so you will have to continually add to the lasagna layers. Which is a good thing. I dont know what kind of mulch you are using; you can either spread more organics over the top of the mulch and add more mulch, or rake away the mulch, add more organics, then re-spread the mulch. Im not sure this is what you were wanting to know.

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Halo, thank you. Reading between the lines, I think you are saying that I can dig a hole in the soil through the lasagna (which is thin at this point as per the description in the GW post), amend the soil there, then plant and pull the lasagna stuff around it and keep adding as the lasagna settles.

Yesterday I planted three sedums that way, but it is of course way to early to tell how the lasagna will behave.

I do have two huge lasagna beds that I build last fall, and I am getting ready to put in blueberries, and then vegetables soon, I am looking forward to that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.