Hibiscus

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I have a hibiscus that I got off Ebay last year. The lady just called it Hibiscus simple class. My in laws say it looks like an okra plant to them. LOL Anyway, I know the seed pod is inside the green flower pod. But when is the seed ripe? When I touch the old flower pod, it breaks off? Can I just save these and get the seeds out when the pod is brown? Thanks for the info.
Teresa

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

The seed pods get large, like the size of the end of your pinky finger. You have to wait until they start turning brown or start to open. If they are yellow and fall off the stem, then the seeds are unfertilized.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks MG,
Should I then hand pollonate them? Sometimes I get 2 flowers from the same plant. Can you use the same plant or do you need two different plants?

Neptune Beach, FL(Zone 9a)

if it looks like ochra it may be abelmoschus manihot (sunset hibiscus). the pod on these will turn brown. watch it carefully and when it starts to split it is ready to harvest. the seeds will be inside.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I have giant hibiscus, they do look like okra, get about 4-5 feet tall and have buds the size of a cherry tomato, in the fall the stems and seed pods will dry and pods will open, displaying the seeds. I use a paper grocery bag and cut off the pods (into the bag)
when the are open and real dry. Then close the bag and shake. Then carefully remove the empty pods and you have lots of seeds.
the flowers are about 5 inches across and last for a day, rose.pink,lite pink, and white with red throat.
If this isn't what you have and you would like some seeds let me know. I have more than I can ever give away.
Ann

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I posted a picture of ripe pods with seeds, on a hardy hibiscus-Hibiscus moscheutos. You can see them on the photo forum.
Michele

Hi - I'm a new hibiscus grower, by my husband's choice. I don't know much about them. The ladies I work with said that I should not plant the hibiscus outdoors, that the plant will likely not survive the cold winter . . . anyone from Michigan who can help me with this? The plant my husband brought me is called Rio Grande. The tags says that it can be used in a perennial garden or as a shrub planting. Hardiness zone includes zone 3 to 10 (my zone is 5) Thanks, any help appreciated!

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 16th 7:46 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Susan, there are several types of hibiscus. Some are hardy perennials, some are annuals and self seeding annuals, then there are tropicals. Tropicals have to be overwintered indoors. The hardy types can be left in the ground outdoors. I am guessing your 'edit' is due to new info? Let me know if you need to know anything else.
Michele

(Zone 8a)

Hi,
I have the same hibiscus you have that looks like okra and some of my pods turned yellow and fell off too...but the ones that ripened got big as okra pods and turned brown and split open...do not touch the pods til they are ripe and brown...you may be breaking them off...

Let me know if you don't get any seeds for I have some!

They really have beautiful blossoms!

Cheers

Covington, GA

Hi
Does anyone have any unusual Hibiscus seed for a SASE?
Thanks & God bless you!!!
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.