Asiatic Lilly

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I have an asiatic lily that has about 10 seed pods on it. Please give me any info on them. When will they be ripe, how to propogate them and will they be true to color. These are a pink asiatic. I do also have yellow,red and white close by the pink.

Teresa

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Teresa

If the Bulblets are at least a half inch big you can take they off the stalk and plant as they are really a blub, I would plant then about an inch deep in an nursery area for a year and then move them to a permanet location in the fall or spring. They will take at least two years before they will bloom from the bulblet I have found out. I always leave the stalk on the until they yellow then I cut off, as this give the bulb the energy to to grow and then to bloom.

You can also dig up the mother bulb and pull off a few scales and start the bulb that way as well.

I hope this helps Mike

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mike,

I do have one that has bulblets. But I have one as well that has seed pods where the flower was. I have taken one and opened it and there are seeds in it. But I was wondering when they are ripe and how should I propagate the seeds.

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Teresa

I am not sure on the seeds as I have always removed the flower once it was dying back. Which gave me the bulblets.

I will be moving a bucnh from my moms this fall that I gave her several years ago, I wasn't able to move them from my last home so I am raiding hers now.
Good luck with the seeds.

Mike

Violet Town, Victori, Australia(Zone 8a)

I have recently tried propagating a lilium from seed, my seed is covered with a flat round tan papery covering, does yours look like this? I put mine on some damp kitchen towel inside a plastic bag (to keep from drying out) and left on top of the fridge and checked every few days. One lot have just started to germinate (sowed on 14/7-its winter here) and I have pricked the first few into v/small pots. If you want them true colour wise then you would be best to use the bulblets as MIke suggested, seeds can have some variation which is why I love growing from seed - you never know what treasure you may have discovered. Terry

Hardy, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks for sharing all the information. I love Japanese Painted Ferns and usually divide them to propagate but would really like to try starting them from spores. Do any of you know how? I am in zone 6. They overwinter very well here with no problem. Also, how do you store your bulbs,,i.e.cannas, dahlias, elephant ears, calla lillies etc. in the winter? I have so many and do not want them to rot or mold this winter as in the past. Please help. Southfork

Old Hickory, TN(Zone 6a)

I just harvested seeds from asiatic lilies. The pods on top are where the seeds are. When they are brown or look like they are wanting to open, then pick them. Open them up and the seeds are very thin and in a row.there should be about 6 rows of seeds. Hope this helps
HairLady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.