Guava Skipper eggs!!!

Edinburg, TX

I've been so busy heading out to the ranch each weekend to look at butterflies there that I've neglected checking my yard. Was out looking over my plants - found Monarch cats on milkweed, Black Swallowtail eggs on my rue and about a dozen Guava Skipper eggs on my Guava Tree!!! Yippee!!!

I'd purchased the Guava Tree last September as I usually see Guavas frequenting my duranta bush. Haven't seen a Guava Skipper this year but guess one snuck over and left little presents!!! This will be my first time at raising this species :o)

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

...another photo of more eggs :o) Woohoo!!!

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

This is what the Guava Skipper butterfly looks like for those who've not seen them before.

~ Cat

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous! Other than pictures, I think "those who've not seen them before" includes just about everybody, including me. That will be a cool one to raise!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

How pretty! I've never seen them before either.

Edinburg, TX

Will say the caterpillars in photos I've seen are U-G-L-Y!!! :o) There's a life cycle link on our south Texas NABA website.

http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabast/guavalifehistory.html

~ Cat

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Yeah, not too attractive, I'd have to agree! But the butterflies are VERY pretty. I've never heard of them either. Obviously we don't get them here in my area or probably even in Florida anywhere. That's really cool, Cat! Do take photos and share with us here! We will live vicariously through YOU! You are going to have a butterfly zoo at your house and the ranch this year! And it's already off to a great and very interesting start!!!! :-)

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Not listed in my Florida butterfly books, but beautiful!!

Edinburg, TX

The Guava Skipper eggs are hatching. I counted five caterpillar leaf nests this afternoon. I had to peek at this ugly bugger :o)

Ooops...photos below

~ Cat

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 10:02 PM

Edinburg, TX

Baby One

Edinburg, TX

And another of Baby One

Edinburg, TX

I pulled the leaf flap back to photograph the bugger but it quickly sewed the leaf back over itself with silk :o)

You can see the empty egg and where the caterpillar chewed a channel through the leaf. The caterpillars will chew a channel on two converging sides of a leaf to form a nest or refugium. It then folds the flap over and holds it closed with silk.

~ Cat

Aw, I think the little critter is cute! Always did like the skippers.

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Cute, in a turd-like way.

Edinburg, TX

Linda...that's only a face a mother could love :o)

Tropicalkaren...I couldn't have said it any better :o)

It's been awfully windy out here...the branches and leaves are constantly being whipped around by the gusts. I do hope these buggers can hold on. I saw other chewed leaves but didn't find any caterpillars.

~ Cat

Karen - LOL! I liked your description! Too funny!

Cat - Those photos are GREAT! Never seen such an odd looking cat. Very cool. And the adult butterflies are soooo pretty. You'll have some new winged friends in the garden this spring and summer! Yippee!!!

Edinburg, TX

Here's photos of one of the little buggers. Took these photos yesterday. Hmmm, must admit...three days old and still ugly :o)

Hard to imagine this duckling is going to turn into a beautiful butterfly.

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

Here it is reaching up to silk the leaf back into place. Sorry the photo is a bit out of focus.

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

Within a few minutes it's safely tucked back into it's nest.

~ Cat

Cat - That is soooo funny! Great photos! Am enjoying this thread! What an interesting species!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL!!! Poor little ugly cat. Becky needs one of them. :)

I think that little cat is hiding in that leaf because you guys are calling it ugly! Yeah, I want some skipper cats this year! Right now, I'm waiting for the Monarch eggs to hatch. I've seen two different Monarchs come by the last few days, floating around like hang gliders. I don't think they like my nectar plants much, otherwise they would hang around longer.

Paige - Too funny! ROTFL!!!!! No ..... I think YOU need one or two or a bunch of those ugly little fellas! LOL!

Linda - Never thought of that! I bet that IS why they fold themselves up in the leaves. They prefer to be seen when they are pretty! LOL!

Y'all are cracking me up!!!

Edinburg, TX

The ducklings are getting bigger...and they're still ugly. Although I think this one heard ya'll talking. After I lifted the leaf flap it crawled around for about an hour before making a new nest on another leaf. Didn't seem to mind being out in the light of day too much.

I also went out and purchased two Strawberry Guava trees/shrubs. Not sure if they Guava Skippers will use them...but they were a decent price and I figured I'd give it a try. I usually see more Guava Skippers in the fall season...so time will tell. If all else fails, I still have the 6ft Guava Tree :o)

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

...another photo from April 1st.

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

The ducklings are getting bigger...and starting to look cute :o)

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

...and another

~ Cat

He is starting to cuten up, who doesn't like stripes?

Edinburg, TX

Yes, those yellow stripes are fetching. Not bad for a nine day old bugger.

Am furious though! I found another crab spider on that guava tree. It had a little moth in it's clutches. Stomped it! Also clipped several leaves with the guava skipper cat nests and brought them inside. I find myself doing a daily spider patrol now. UGH!

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

They are now four weeks old. One has started to pupate :o)

Here's a few recent photos.

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

and another ~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

One is starting to pupate :o) Woohoo! There'll be new Guava Skipper butterflies soon enough!!!

A waxy white substance forms over the body...the head is the last to be covered. What a strange metamorphosis from tiny turd to mummy!!!

~ Cat

This message was edited Apr 24, 2007 10:01 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well ain't he sweet all tucked in there!! Oh Joy!

Cat - My students would love your little cat cuddling up in it's white cocoon/chrysalis! That is sooo cute! It looks all comfy and tucked in for the the transformation! LOL!

Well, it looks like a turd in a cocoon to me heehee

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Cute as a "Bug in a Rug"..ahem, I mean a "cat in a leaf"... mmm, I love those guavas myself. Now, My grandma had the small guavas in Florida --have to check and see if they are the strawberry or pineapple variety..
Thanks for sharing those cat pictures,
Elaine

Edinburg, TX

Too funny Fly!!!

Cute as a bug in rug indeed :o)

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

Elvis has left the building!!!

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

And here's a photo of Elvis...or is it Elvira? A quick photo before I leave for work!

Had two Guava Skippers eclose today...still have a few more I'm baby sitting :o)

~ Cat

Cat, he's just gorgeous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.