Mukdenias (Heuchera Cousins)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I purchased this Mukdenia, a Terra Nova introduction of a Heuchera cousin (see Terra Nova image below) last summer and am looking forward to enjoying it this season. Believe it or not, these are hardy to zone 4. I just noticed on the web, a new Mukdenia variety that looks even more stunning. Here is the link: http://www.cnb.nl/greenteam/newplants/cultivars/np303.htm. Is anyone else growing Mukdenias along side their Heucheras?

Thumbnail by willmetge
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Something went wrong with that link. Here is the correct link to M. rossii 'Karasuba' that I mentioned above: http://www.cnb.nl/greenteam/newplants/cultivars/np303.htm

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I was gonna get some in the co-op that was supposed to be after the co-op that went south last summer. LOL I love to have a few. Where did you get yours?

Debbie

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Ironically, on the $1 clearance rack at our local nursery. The employees said it wouldn't grow in our zone (5b). I guess they had been telling everyone that so nobody wanted to spend the $12 for an annual. For some reason the zone wasn't listed on the Terra Nova tag. I'm sure that would have helped sales.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I will have to look for some of those, they are nice looking that's for sure.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I heard this plant is a ground cover. Makes me wonder about controling it.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I've had it one year in very good soil and it has spread only about 6 inches. It seems rather slow. I also noticed that TerraNova's wholesale literature has it listed as a moderate to slow grower.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I love the color. Keep us posted on how it does. Especially if it keeps it color. Linda

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Has anyone found a place to purchase these that isn't wholesale only?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Joan, I found 'Karasuba' on Asiatica's website http://asiaticanursery.com/product_info.php/products_id/391?osCsid=a7881cbbc22596fe5119ec5aecc5e995

Debbie

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks Debbie. I've got it in the shopping cart, but I'm still rationalizing the need to spend $22 for it before I checkout. :)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, I know the feeling, my 'shopping cart' is still empty but someone keeps wanting to throw in the Aralia 'Sun King' http://asiaticanursery.com/product_info.php/products_id/1376?osCsid=a7881cbbc22596fe5119ec5aecc5e995 that happened to show up on the same page as the Mukdenia. We have the native Spikenard growing in our gardens and it's magnificent - always on the lookout for more bright yellow plants to 'glow' in the shade - but $35.00 is a little steep :(

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't know if anyone is interested, but Busse Gardens ((www.bussegardens.com) has Mukdenia rossii 'Crimson Fans' on the back cover of the 2007 catalog. It's $14.
Deb

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hey, I tried doing some division early this summer, and had pretty good success. Any one interested in trading Mukdenia 'Crimson Fans' aka 'Karasuba' for named Hostas, Heucheras or other tidy foliage plants hardy to Z5 let me know. The starts are small (probably what you would get in a 3-4" pot), but they are well-rooted and healthy.

Note: I've read in several places that 'Crimson Fans' & 'Karasuba' are the same variety, they just have different names for their respective languages.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I'm interested in trading!!!! Do you wanna do it now or wait till spring?
I have tons of hostas to choose from.

Debbie

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great plant. I first saw it on Terra Nova. I'd love to find it locally but seem too stuck in the garden to go looking.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I would be interested in trading willmetge, you have dmail :)
Lea

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

hi.........
dont know if this will show up, but do you have anymore of that beautiful plant left? mukdenia........ would love some

Laguna Niguel, CA(Zone 10a)

Yes, I'd like to know how to get it, the nursery you got it in. I live in Eastern Wa. I'd like to give it a shot.

Crazy

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

One source has it that the difference between Mukdenia 'Crimson Fans'
and Mukdenia 'Crimson Fans' (Karasuba) is that the Karasuba cultivar
colors up after flowering until fall. The species doesn't color up until
fall. So I guess it depends on how bad you want to see the red color-
ing = $$$

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Crazy4plants,

If you live here in Spokane (I'm in the Valley not far from the Argonne exit), you would be welcome to stop by and I can give you a start, ...or maybe we could do a trade. Dmail me if you are interested.

Will

I'd like the red foliage. I'd sure like to know where to get this locally here.

Crazy

Hey, willmetge, you promised to get back to me on DMail. Still going to be in Spokane about 15 September (and also, just blocks from the Argonne exit (altho we use Broadway coming from the west) and I'd still like to do a trade.

~crazy: any chance I can come see your heucheras then?

Potagere

If I'm in town, sure. I just don't know where I will be right now. There is a chance we will be traveling in mid Sept, so just keep in touch.

Crazy

Well, we'll be there for about 3-4 weeks on home leave.
But, if you prefer to stay "anonymous", I can understand.

It's just weird for me to talk to someone from my hometown who is always on the same DG threads but whom I cannot meet.

Hope your "summer weather" is more "summery" than ours!

Potagere

I didnt' realize you'd be here for that long of a period. I'm sure we could get together. My kids are going to be visiting us for a month mid August to mid Sept and then we are going to try and take a week for fall color some time after that. But if you are here for that long, let's try and get together. I've never met anyone from DG before.

Crazy

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

crazy4plants,

Are you refering to me or to Potagere? I live here in Spokane Valley as my permenant residence. I think Potagere is planning on visiting this Fall.

Willmetge, I'd like to do a swap with you. Not right now because it is so warm and not sure the starts would do well. What do you think? Maybe later in the fall? I'll see Potagere in the fall.

Crazy

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Sure. I'm planning to do a couple of divisions with this cooler weather we've been having...so this fall they should be pretty established and ready for transplanting...just let me know when you are ready.

Will

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I just picked up a Mukdenia Karasuba at a local greenhouse. Dont think it is reliably hardy here but would like to try as I have lots of shade and it looks like a gorgeous plant. Would be interested to know if anybody in zone 4 is growing it since that is the closest to my zone. Guess I will have to gve it some winter protection .

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Terra nova nurseries lists it as hardy to zone 4. http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=201

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes thanks I know -just looking for anybody growing it in a lower zone.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I've grown Mukdenia rossii in zone 3 without winter protection (or reliable snow cover, for that matter) for several years now.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great! Thanks!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

willmetge
do you have any of these for trade? if so what are you looking for plmk and thxs

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I don't have any at the moment. I only have my original clump. I just got a mist-propagation system set up over the Labor Day weekend, so I'm planning to take cuttings in the near future.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

cool plmk when/if you have any for trade and what you wanted in a trade thxs

I ordered six plants online so I'm into them for 60 bucks. I sure hope I like them. I had to look all over the place. Should get them in mid October.

Crazy.

Fenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Now that it's spring again, have several that have participated in this thread had the Mukdenia Karasuba over winter? If so, did it survive in good shape? I'm in zone 6a and couldn't find it locally last summer. Hopefully, that's simply because it's a fairly recent introduction in the last couple of years.

Thanks for any info and tips about it.
Ann

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm on my third year (zone 5) and the clump is larger than ever. Right now it is still almost completely dormant. I can see some very small reddish tips. I should note that it emerges pretty late compared to my other perennials...in fact, it is usually one of the last. I think that TerraNova Nurseries lists it as hardy to zone 3 or 4 so it should do well in zone 6.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.