Would you like some horse manure??

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm a big fan of aged horse manure and have used it from the get go to amend beds and build them up. I Love the stuff. I do pull weeds initially, but its a little price to pay for so much healthful stuff. When I was first starting out, I found a local place where I had to fill my 5 gallon buckets and them carry them through the barn to my truck and load them all myself... and then unload as well. Then I found the GA market Bulletin and found places where they will load it for me for free.. so I drive out to get it ( a little further, but it saves my back!) and I use a load handler to help unload, so I certainly an making it as easy as I can for myself now :) Sooo... if your looking for some, do try to GA market Bulletin http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_39654299_40311428,00.html Subscriptions are free.

Also, Walter Reeves has some info about getting it on his web site. I just found this PDF file that lists all of the registered GA horse stables.. lets try this link http://www.agrosecurity.uga.edu/annexes/Annex18_Stables.pdf
:)
Susan

This message was edited Mar 24, 2007 9:14 AM

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

You gonna help me spread it?

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Are YOU going to help ME spread it!!????
I need more poo than you doo.
:)

Susan

I already have TONS of poop from a drop a year and a half ago. I had someone from the Farmers & Consumers who would haul it intown. I'm sure he got the poop for free, and I paid for the hauling which was fine with me. I got 17 yards of the stuff. Does anyone have any idea how much poop is in 17 yards...A LOT, lol. I also really love the stuff.
I have heard some complaints about people not liking horse poop for a few reasons. One is the shavings. I LOVE the shavings because they help neutralize the high rates of nitrogen. I don't want some areas of my garden pumped with nitrogen. That is hard on wildflowers and some native plants. Also, horses do not digest weed seeds as well as cows do, so they can remain in the soil. This is very true. Even "fully composted" horse poop can have some weeds. So I just mulch really well and supress them. Not much of a problem.

GGG

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I Love it too.. It's the only way I could have brought in so much to amend my soil and make it a wonderful black 8 inches deep. The worms pull down the stuff that I put on the top.. Takes some time, but far better they do it than me :)

I have also found stuff that is so old.. there is no telling it was manure.. it just turns into the blackest most fertile soil. When I was first starting out, I told some garden club members I was planting on a huge layer of aged manure and they were concerned for it not growing right.. it was the best garden ever!

GGG, I sure would love to have some delivered.. How'd you find him? :) Did you have room on your driveway for him to unload it all?

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.