Early Bloomers

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I was very fortunate today because Viburnum Valley, our own resident expert on all things horticultural, came to visit. We went to the Cincinnati Zoo and Spring Grove. Here are some shots of things that were in bloom today. First up: Cornus mas "Spring Grove." Spring Grove is lousy with the plant, which is fine, because it is a darn nice plant.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here is the a shot of the whole tree.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Corylopsis platypetala.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Corylopsis spicata.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Corylus avellana.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2007 6:57 PM

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The female flower of some Corylus we couldn't identify.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lindera benzoin.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Of course, it's not always about trees. Here are some nice Scilla sibirica beneath old magnolias, which haven't begun blooming quite yet. Soon though.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

See!

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yesterday (without John), I took a few photos also. Here's Salix discolor.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

A really nice Hamamelis x intermedia Arnold Promise at a nearby nursery.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hamamelis "Pallida" from my yard. Fragrance is exceptional!

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pieris x "Brower's Beauty." I think this is a hybrid. Awesome plant.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Quoting:
Pieris x "Brower's Beauty." I think this is a hybrid. Awesome plant

...and the only Pieris suitable for Zone 5, in my opinion and experience, having slaughtered all the rest. My 'BB' looks perfect after a difficult winter, but is helped by a nice sheltered spot.

You are way ahead of us down there in O-HI-O. I have Crocus, but that's it so far.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kevin,

If you could only have one, that's a good one to have, although "Mountain Fire" and "Dorothy Wycoff" are tremendous plants.

Scott

Well must be the reason why my pieris japonicas look like my pumpkins stomped them, then played soccer with them. They look puny and freeze-dried! "Browser's Beauty" is lovely.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think this is the best one I got today.

Magnolia macrophylla (bigleaf magnolia) in bud.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Kevin,
For small gardens nothing beats Pieris japonica pygmae compacta. If it weren't for the dastardly Lace Bug this would be the PERFECT SHRUB. kt

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Do all Pieris Japonica suffer from bugs? I have not placed any here because in Seattle they all needed bug protection. Also if not I have a northern exposure (no direct sun until after 5PM) that I want to place an espalier. would the 'Browers Beauty' do ok there. I think they need lots of sun. The spot I want to espalier is under the sun room in the distance where the lattice is. Any Ideas?

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Soferdig,
I am sure the others can give you more expert advise, but in my little world Piers is the KING of shade tolerance. I have a happy colony under a Sassafras as well as pieris is the only evergreen that didn't flinch from the shade of a Maple. I do how ever need to spray all seasons oil to deter the nasty lace wing bug that is more aggressive in my world than aphids. kt

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I do envy you your rocks and your ability to place them so well. the hollyhocks look very happy there. Good luck with the espalier.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Aren't lace wings meat eaters? They eat the aphids don't they? I have little problem with aphids cause I encourage large amounts of Yellow Jackets and they don't let any aphids do dammage here. Yes the aphid gets a start but not much before the solitary bees and predator wasps arrive hungry. I have several native plants that the aphids prefer and that sets up a nice balance between predator bugs and aphids. If that is the case then I will try a Pieris at that location. Thank you kt.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Soferdig,
Thought I would pass on photos of lace wing damage so you can keep on eye on things.

Thumbnail by runktrun
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is another one to show you the vast damage from under the leaf. kt

Thumbnail by runktrun
Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

What damage looks like from above. kt

Thumbnail by runktrun
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I must of misunderstood Organic Gardening article on favored bugs cause Lace wings were included. It must have been something else. My mind is often confused on names.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Soferdig,
This might be an east coast west coast thing but this link might bring some light to the issue.

http://www.rcre.rutgers.edu/pubs/download-free.asp?strPubID=FS783

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes it is. this is the one I was thinking of. http://www.4to40.com/earth/geography/htm/insectsindex.asp?counter=22

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Now that we have that resolved Dorothy Wycoff, Mountain Fire, and Prelude are beauties. kt

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Lots of shade here Sofer. Sun would do them in, especially winter sun. I have not seen any lacebug damage here--winter damage yes, lacebug, no. Runk reminded me of the other hardy one, and that is 'Cavatine', a dwarf that marches on no matter what the weather.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Kevin,
I immediately did a search for 'Cavatine' and am happy to report I found Big Dipper Farms is selling this pink blossom beauty. The good news is they also sold me a Soft Shield Fern a few years ago which oddly enough is one of those plants that any visitor to my garden focuses on even though I am trying to divert their attention to what ever else I might consider rare and a real *show off* plant.. I think this years plants of most desire...are for me are Malus 'Lollipop' recommended by this forum, Monkey Puzzle, and a colony of sweet fern. kt

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

I like sweet fern, and have it growing in several spots. I used it at my last house in the inferno-zone, on the west side of my red brick house, where temps were often 120F. It thrived. Tough in the right conditions.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Sweet fern is very nice. Grows around here where I hike. Indians used the leaves for many medicinal applications. Some people like it in tea. The foliage smells great.

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Scott. So many great plants. You are way ahead of us here. Hellebores, witchhazels, crocus, winter aconite, snowdrops -- that's all here. Red maple buds in the woods have swollen to a bright red but not open. It is in the upper 60s today. We won't be where you are for 3 weeks anyway. I would have quite a witchhazel display if it weren't for the deer. Buds are swelling on Stachyurus praecox, a "zone 7 " plant that once again survived a zone 5 winter -- and a hard one on plants, at that.

Jim and I put up 4 bluebird houses today that he made for me (it is so nice to have a husband ;o)). The bluebirds arrived in force this week. I can't wait to see how long it will take them to find the houses

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

David,

I will be expecting pictures of Stachyurus praecox from you! You have me wondering what this shrub, which I had never heard of before you mentioned it in a post a month or two ago, is all about, and, of course, whether I should have one (or possibly two).

I took one picture of a red maple in bloom yesterday, which was very nice. I didn't post it because I couldn't remember the cultivar name. Burgundy something. I'll post it here and hope John remembers.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

"Little red flowering maple" not too many plants I can't identify. :]

Eau Claire, WI

David,

Hubby got the houses up for you none too early as the Bluebirds have already arrived here (saw my first one on 1st day of spring) and are staking out their claim on the houses I've got up. The arrival of Bluebirds is the harbinger of spring for me.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have to get some houses the bluebirds are here too. But no place to stay. Off to the store. No time to make with cleaning up from winter this week.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That was Acer rubrum Burgundy Belle®, selected by Earl Cully of Jacksonville, IL.

That is an interesting site at the Zoo, where a detention basin area is being developed as a wet-site tolerant collection of woody plants. In addition to the red maples, there are winterberries, sweetspires, viburnums, water tupelo, and a menagerie of other species. Should be a fun place to see grow in.

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

I really love red maples in flower. Some of the buds opened today after a warm morning rain and afternoon sun. They are subtle, but a sure sign of spring -- somehow they seem to 'know' when spring has arrived and cold weather is much less likely from here on. :indera benzoin, in the swamps, isn't showing any color but the buds are swollen. Corylopsis too.

The bluebirds are singing their chortling whistles all around 2 of the houses we put up. A subtly beautiful song, just like the red maple flowers, that most people would never notice. For me, a joyous sound of spring. Long overdue and much welcomed after a very hard winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.