What is the name of this tree, please?

Temple, GA

I think this is a member of the magnolia family but the bloom is made up of a cluster of small white flowers. They started out at least a month ago by being a reddish cone-shaped bloom, then matured into this mass of greenish-white. My husband took this picture yesterday. We are in zone 7 near Atlanta. The new leaves that are growing now are a gorgeous light green and mature to dark green. It is also losing some leaves at the same time which turn red before they drop. It really puts on a pretty show -- it's about 20 ft. tall now and is at least 20 yrs. old. I think I have seen an antique English botanical print on either wallpaper or a chair that featured this tree, but I think it has fallen out of favor because I can't find it in any catalogs. I have some more photos of it if anyone wants to see them to better identify it. The mature leaves are about 6 inches long.

Thumbnail by Hully43
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

photinia seralatta(sp)

Smyrna, GA

Yea, I think it is Photinia serralata, too. My grandmother has one in her yard and they really are cool. Haven't seen them available in any nurseries though. You can thank it's ugly cousin the Red Tip Photinia.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58261/index.html

:)

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.