Calling those of you in the immediate DC area

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm putting out a feeler to see who might be interest in a mini-swap / meet & greet at my place in College Park, perhaps around the end of April. I envision this as a relaxing way to meet local gardeners, enjoy some hors d'oerves & drinks outside... and of course, to share plants and seeds. The weather would need to cooperate, so if it doesn't, I'd prefer to postpone the date.

Any interest?

(PS At the moment, it does not look like I will be able to make it to Hart's Spring Swap down in VA. Drat.)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi wrightie,

I live in the Columbia area and can just jump on I95 down to College Park. Haven't been down to there in eons, since I graduated from U. of MD, many moons ago!

Sounds like a lot of fun! I agree about postponing the date if the weather doesn't cooperate. The beginning of May works for me too. I'll watch this thread for any new developments.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'd be up for that. Plenty to swap here for both swaps.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

One more thing, we'll need to plan the date around the UMD game schedules in order to avoid traffic tie ups because we live close to campus (and CP Metro stop).

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

There's not much left by then, is there? Lacrosse, baseball, I don't know.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm planning on going to the one at Hart's but I would come to your house too. I'm having shoulder surgery in April and not sure how much I would have to trade. But I would love to meet those that will not be able to get to Harts. I'll be watching for a date. Holly

Shenandoah Valley, VA

If Wrightie wants to have the swap, that's perfectly fine with me. We can do it at my house next year.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I can make either one as long as it is not the last week of May :

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

AAAH! No, Hart! I'm looking to have a *small* gathering for those who live right around DC (20 mile radius or so?). I don't have the space for anything large. I was a little hesitant to start the thread for fear of it growing into something BIG. Please do not change any plans for the Spring Swap!!!

***I envision this as more of an opportunity to get to meet local gardeners than as a formal plant swap, if that makes any sense.***

If it looks like this will adversely affect the Spring Swap in any way, then I will cancel the idea. (sorry for any concerns that this may have raised for you, Hart!)

This message was edited Mar 23, 2007 4:00 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wrightie, I think of anything within a 2 hr drive as local. ;} But I understand *small*. I can easily bow out of your gathering. But I am really looking forward to going to Hart's.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

No, no, I have no concerns about your gathering, Wrightie. Was just suggesting if it's easier for you all, I'd be happy to bow out and do one here next year.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

No chance, sister! I'm concerned that I will not be able to make it to your place in June. Since I don't know many gardeners near me, I'd like to set up a little gathering which includes food, drink, and plants.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

2 swaps sounds better than 1 to me!!

:-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm with Critter -- 2 swaps sounds great (except I'd better get thinking about what I can swap)! I'd love to do it. And I'd love to bring something "pot luck" to share, maybe a bottle of wine, plus whatever else you want to assign me!

Hart -- please don't think about canceling yours -- I've been looking forward to that for ages!

My calendar is wide open for the end of April weekends.

I don't want to go crazy here, but let me throw out something else: The National Arboretum is having its "Garden Fair Plant Sale," April 28, 9:00am-4:00pm, New York Avenue parking lot. "Thousands of plants, some hard to find anywhere else, are ripe for the picking at this much-anticipated annual sale. FONA members only may shop April 27 from 12:00pm-7:00pm. Sponsored by the Friends of the National Arboretum; proceeds help support USNA programs. Free." The National Capital Daylily Club usually hosts a table there. Of course, you have to get there early for the best selection. The azaleas should be gorgeous. See http://www.usna.usda.gov/Education/events.html#April . I take a French class from 10-1:30, but I'm going to try to make it from 9-9:30. I know, not enough time, but better than nothing.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, okay. Not planning on cancelling, just offering an option. Wrightie, I sure do hope you'll be able to come. Did you see the post where I'm trying to settle on a date? Let me know if one or the other of those dates are better for you.

Happy, I went to that National Arboretum sale one year many years ago. I'm sure it was smaller then but it was absolute plant nut hog heaven. You won't believe the plants offered. Is it expensive to join so that you could go to the earlier sale and not have to squeeze it in before your class?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'd be interested in one or both...but have a grandbaby due end of April

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, thanks for posting the Arboretum info. I always forget to check their calendar. I haven't been to their sale before, but this seems like a good year to start. Hart, it looks like it's $35 to become a member of FONA. http://www.fona.org/joinfona.htm

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Ouch. Too rich for my blood.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The sale I really love is the Green Springs sale. I haven't been to the National Arboretum one in years, but I've been to the last few Green Springs sales and they are wonderful -- and the gardens are great. They don't use pesticides, which I love about them, and they don't pamper the plants so what you see there are plants that work. Here is the info from the website. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/gsgp/events.htm . I think it is the May 19 one that I've enjoyed, but the others sound fun too.

Shopping Opportunities for Plant-a-holics!
Green Spring Garden Markets
Saturdays, April 14, 21, 28 and May 5, 12

9am-1pm. Green Spring invited a select group of local growers to provide you with shrubs, native plants and wildflowers, ornamental grasses and unusual perennials and annuals. Friends of Green Spring (FROGS) receive 10% off in the Garden Gate Plant Shop. The Green Spring Master Gardeners will be on hand at each Garden Market with an exhibit highlighting a particular horticultural practice such as shade gardening, composting, containers, etc. Plant shopping and free gardening information - what a great way to spend a Saturday morning!

Spring Garden Day
Saturday, May 19

9am-3pm. More than 40 vendors of rare and unusual plants descend on Green Spring Gardens to fill your spring gardening needs! Friends of Green Spring (FROGS) receive 10% off plants in the Garden Gate Plant Shop. Don't miss this exciting annual tradition.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy, you are a wealth of information. Would you believe that I've never been to Green Spring?

As long as we're talking plant sales, which nurseries do you usually shop at for annuals around here? (I'm hoping that you've got some bargains hidden up your sleeves)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Just my 2 cents worth, but I would put all these fantastic plant sales on a separate thread so that they don't get lost on this one, plus much more visibility when they can "stand alone".

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Hello!!! Over in the Mid-South Gardening Forum, we call the smaller events, "Gatherings" and this is exactly what your event sounds like, swap or give-away if you wish, but mainly visit with one another.

Good Luck on the event, hope you all have lots of fun.

Judy

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

It appears that someone has misplaced Spring...

I have not forgotten about nor given up on hosting this gathering, but given the local weather and forecasts, this may not happen until May. Stay tuned.

Thumbnail by wrightie
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"someone has misplaced Spring"

Only too true!

At least they're no longer calling for snow on Sunday night....

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

It's a good thing, because I haven't gotten the tiniest bit ready to have plants to swap!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Things are only just now getting up the nerve to peek out of the ground or start leafing out, here!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Every morning I tour our garden -- I can't tell you what a thrill it is to see the tiniest signs of life. Each new perennial I see starting to unfurl gets me SO excited. My biggest delight so far: I killed off a Brunnera Jack Frost last year which I dearly loved -- when we went on vacation, it turned out the sprinkler set-up didn't reach it, and it fried. Shriveled up in August. Or so I thought. The tiniest little leaves are showing up now! I may not be as big as its former self, but I am so happy that I didn't kill it. Why should I get so excited over something so trivial, I don't know. Better if I got this excited about my office projects!

Wrightie: I am so glad you are still thinking of hosting a get-together!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

No need to explain your glee and delight about seeing some signs of life. I'd be willing to bet that most of us who are reading this feel the exact same way. Today's celebration in my yard is the fact that my grapevine is just beginning to unfurl it's leaves. Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Everyone think warm, happy Spring Arrival thoughts.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry for not getting back until now, but we've had a family emergency and I've been in England for a couple of weeks. I'm going to cancel this gathering since things have gotten too hectic for me; I won't return to the States until some time next week.

For those going to Hart's swap, have fun!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm sorry! I hope things are improving... praying that you & yours will be safe and well. I'm glad you're able to be there for whatever the situation is, and I hope you'll take good care of yourself as well. *hugs*

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Critter. My mother-in-law went into a hospice facility and passed away soon afterwards -- not a great trip back, I'm afraid.

xo

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm so sorry, Wrightie; sounds like a wrenching trip. If the hospice that she was in is anything like the hospice experience I had for my Mom though, you may feel very blessed at least for that part of it. I hope your DH had the opportunity to say goodbye. Brings back a flood of memories for me.

By the way, if there is anything you want me to pick up from Hart's swap for you, I'd be happy to do it.

This message was edited May 22, 2007 12:36 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wrightie, I'm so sorry. Please give my sympathies to your husband and his family.

Happy, I'll be glad to help you put together a goodie box for Wrightie from the stuff I have here.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart: A goodie bag is a great idea!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL - you kidz are fanshmabulous.

People who work in hospice are possibly cut from the finest cloth of all. My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 3 yrs ago. She died 2 mos. later at home using a home hospice program.

I hear what you're saying, Happy, and fully understand how these things bring back the painful memories. Low and behold, my MIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2 1/2 weeks ago on a Friday, entered hospice the following Wednesday, then died on Sunday. The funeral was yesterday. This has all happened just too too fast. If nothing else, at least we arrived in time to be with her.

She was an avid gardener, so we shared that interest.

This message was edited May 22, 2007 2:05 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

This is the wrong thread to be posting this in, but you can slap me later... if everything works out, I may have several tomato plants to send to the swap in my absence; many of them are heirlooms and there are some cherry and pear as well. They are being cared for by my neighbor while I'm away, but they should have been transplanted again by now -- UGH -- they will need good homes Soon.

I should be home Sunday night, so if someone is available to take them Southward to Hart's, give me a shout. Of course, it will all depend on whether my neighbor has succeeded in keeping them going for me! :>)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If "talking plants" isn't a welcome distraction right now, we can do it later... but please take a look at my plant list on Hart's swap thread... I'd love to bring along something special for your goodie box... Did your MIL have a favorite type of plant?

I know your space is limited, but do you still have room for climbers on that fence by your pretty corner patio? I'd be glad to pot up that rooted piece of American Honeysuckle for you. :-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, Critter, my garden isn't that small. There's still plenty of room for more plants and, if needed, I'll just remove more turf to widen the beds! :~)

Thanks for asking about my MIL's tastes. As a matter of fact, one of my missions when I arrived here was to ask her that very question, but I'm afraid that I was too late. I landed at the airport, drove straight to the hospice, when I arrived she turned and said my name, gave me a smile, then drifted into a coma and was gone 36hrs later. Shocking, isn't it?

I've since been tending to her garden - pulling weeds and pruning - and have been trying to get a sense of whether she had any favorites. I've also been asking her friends and family this question, but they've all come back with "no," they don't know of any favorites as she loved all flowers and plants. She was always taking cuttings and rooting them.

I went through and cut a selection of all the flowers blooming in her garden on the day that she died and my intention has been to press them, though I haven't gotten round to it yet, so I fear that I may have missed the boat there.

I'll try to take a gander at your list, Critter. Thanks again!!!

This message was edited May 22, 2007 4:21 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: I'm happy to come pick up any plants for the swap if you like, though that is the last thing for you to fuss over, and I'll bring you back whatever plants you choose -- and you might as well choose because if you don't, we'll all choose for you!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL, thank you, Happy! Give me until next Monday to try to come up with a list and gather whatever living things that I've got to send down with you and then we can meet up before you go. How's that?

There's still a slim chance that I'll be able to make it to the swap myself, but I think it's a longshot as my husband will be staying in England for another week or so after I return and I'll be alone to tend to the house and pets, etc.

xoxoxoxoxoxo to everyone and thanks so much for your kind sentiments!

(btw, if you want to see some quaint English village pic's, go look on the equine forum for my new thread there; you'll know it when you see it)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.