Augusta Botanical Gardens may close!

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

The Georgia Golf Hall of Fame (and by association, the Botanical Gardens) are in very real danger of closing by the end of June. http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/032207/met_121276.shtml
While I understand that this is of greatest interest to those of us who live in the CSRA, it is a place I have recommended on these boards as a great place to visit if you are in the area. We don't have that many public gardens in Augusta and I would be very saddened if the Botanical Gardens were gone. Below are contact numbers if you would like to help try and retain funding.

Thank you
--
Ruth

Subject: Fw: GGHF Action Alert - Please help keep the GGHF Open - Call Today
Reply-To: "Dianne King - Georgia Golf Hall of Fame"

The Georgia Golf Hall of Fame needs your help today to keep our facility open.
Please review the call to action and talking points below and call or email the
Senators listed.
The GGHF needs your support!
Dianne

Senate Committee to Vote on Supplemental Funding

The Senate Appropriations Economic Development Subcommittee is considering the
2007 Supplemental Appropriations Act this week. Please contact the following senators to urge
them to adopt the House increase of $300,000 to provide emergency funding to the
Georgia Golf Hall of Fame to keep the facility open.

Please stress the urgency and immediate need of the funding and your personal
connection to the Golf Hall of Fame.
Remember, all eyes will be focused on Augusta in a few weeks for the Master’s
Tournament and it would be a shame for it to close while on the international
stage.
Calls are more effective than emails.
Thank you for your time and attention to this important matter.

Senator Chip Pearson: chip.pearson@senate.ga.gov
Office: 404-656-9221

Senator George Hooks: george.hooks@senate.ga.gov
Office: 404-656-0065

Senator Jeff Mullis: jeff.mullis@senate.ga.gov
Office: 404-656-0057

Senator Nancy Schaefer: nancy.schaefer@senate.ga.gov
Office: 404-463-1367

Senator Mitch Seabaugh: mail@mitchseabaugh.com
Office: 404-656-6446

Thomson, GA

Artgal, don't you find it unfortunate that "the Garden City" has so few public garden of any note? It will truly be a loss to the area if it closes. I wish I understood why they are not able to sustain themselves. I understand that maintaining the gardens is expensive, but find it unbelievable that there are not enough visitors interested in paying admission to such a lovely place that would produce the revenue needed to keep it open. I am only a golf fan one week out of the year, LOL, but I love the Gardens! Perhaps there are not enough people that share the same passion for gardens that you and I do. I have made my calls/emails.

It is this time of year especially that makes me grateful to live in this area. Everywhere you look, even the poorest of neighborhoods, azaleas, dogwoods, irises, redbuds, pear and peach trees, forsysthia - they are so breathtaking.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your support, guardians. I'd forgotten about "the garden city" slogan - although I've seen less of it recently - I think it was superceded by "come play Augusta", or something like that. At this time of year, the area definately earns it's garden status with private gardens - and is one of the things that attracted us. But we need public spaces to enjoy, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.