Only in Georgia

Lula, GA

How's everyone doing with the 2500 pollen count today?

This is when I start doing my zombie routine!! LOL- not!!

My sympathy to fellow sufferers!

Brenda

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I can't believe it jumped from 950 one day to 2500 the next! I went to the dr. yesterday and I still have a week left of my sinus rx. I told the dr. my allergies will kick in before I'm done with it. LOL! I hate feeling like a zombie, so I'm making sure I drink a ton of water to stay hydrated. It always helps me.
My dad lives in Al and he's like "what pollen"? It hasn't showed up there yet. Lucky dog!

Susan

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Just went for a browse in the garden and I could SEE the yellow pollen! Up until now, in the four years I have lived in Georgia, I have escaped allergies but today I sneezed as I walked inside, my eyes are a little sore and have a slight headache. How long does this last?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

There's a point where everyone has the sniffles. Nothing you can do about it so don't worry about it. This year seems to be a banner year for pollen.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

whole season ... Mid March to mid June in Atlanta area

I stay zoned out on Claritan the whole time. lol

Buford, GA(Zone 7b)

Knew it was coming, I also watch the Carolina Gardening forum and for the last couple of weeks they have been talking about how bad the pollen is this year,
the worst year anyone there could remember. Real tipoff was when someone mentioned a normally black cat that is now yellow.
-Greg

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a silver car now, but used to be I'd know it was time when my usually blue car turned green.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

when the braford pears start to bud i know allergy season is on its way. and it doesnt help the weather being 80-90 something degrees today. shoot i gave up washing the car. i wash it by tommorow it will be yellow agian.

i live on the border of both ga and sc its bad. there is so much of it everywhere.

i have a prescript and i am about out. called my allergist today. hoping for rain. wash it away.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Must not have made it here yet, as I was out at lunch puttering in the yard and didn't see any yellow nor have sniffles - but I have like zero allergies.

Thanks for the tip though.

~Sunny

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

My formerly dark brown dog just came inside and now he's a dark khaki green!

Thomson, GA

I have never seen as many bees as I have this year. They are everywhere all the time! They must be having a blast.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

My nongardener friends think there is something weird with my loving to garden and being so susceptible to the pollen.. I use claritin as well.. The manger of Publix told me that Claritin just came out with a product that fizzles in your mouth and more of the drug is delivered to your system faster.. Of course they were out of it, so I'm using up the tabs I have. Also.. I know that generics are supposed to have the exact same ingredients but I just swear that there is something in Claritin that is not in the generics.. I've tried several times and always go back to Claritin.

Susan

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Maybe it's a Low Country or Coastal Empire thing but the pollen is really high down on the coast. We had a decent amount of rain this winter so maybe that's what doing it. The no-see'ums are very thick this year too.

Alavert is a good one to try too. It dissolves in your mouth and doesn't give me the side affects that Claritin does. The best one for me if my allergies get unbearable is prescription Allegra.

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

hmmm.. Nice to know!
Thanks
Susan

I'm dying here in Lawrenceville. I worked in the gardens all day on Saturday and had to get heavily medicated to deal with the pollen once I came in. I take Allegra D and some kind of eye drops.

Thank God I'll be over this by June

BB

I hear ya!!! It's too pretty and warm out to be cooped up inside. But that is one thing that helps, staying inside with the windows closed.
Some time between midnight and 7 am Sun., our mailbox was vandalized :( We called the cops and the same person did this to other people, so guess what? He was arrested. From the looks of it, the person rammed into the post backed up and kept going. The post was shattered, plants uprooted, pieces of the post were all up the street. Oh well, I got everything replanted and put some new stuff in and have to get mulch.
Yes, we are pressing charges so hopefully this will teach them a lesson.

Susan

That's where I am. Went outside for 10 minutes to water my plants and I couldn't take it anymore.

Too bad about about your mailbox RaggedyAnn. But at least they caught the guy. Was he a kid?

BB

It seems like the pollen gets worse as the day goes on. Or maybe it's a mixture of the heat and pollen. I have a ton of preojects that need to be done outside. Guess if I get them done early in the day it won't be so bad.
As far as I know the culprit was under 18. I'm just glad that no one was hurt, mailboxes can be replaced :)

Are you a NY native? I just found out what rice balls are and I am hooked! Why does food have to be so good? LOL

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

ohhhhhhhhhhhh Susan :( I just cut out the sod around my mailbox so that I can plant there.. I would just be heartbroken.

I hope no one ever tries to do that to me cause I'm running out of room to hide the bodies here.

;)

Susan

Yes Susan.

Born and raised in the Bronx. Haven't there in some time. We left Long Island almost 3 years ago to come here. You have to come visit us at the Farmer's Market in the summer. It's on the square. We are going to have a lot of neat stuff.

I just struggle through the pollen because there is so much to do to get ready for the market season. The bad thing is that during the week, the only time I have to do something is after work and that's when it seems like the pollen is at it's worse.

Soul:

You can hide a couple at my place :-)

BB

Lula, GA

It helps- I'm taking 2 of those 24-hr. tablets- generic Allevert.

Yeh, you caught the mailbox culprit!! That can go a long way to alleviating the pain!!

Brenda

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I had to jump in here! Raggedy good going girl! Im glad they caught that culprit! My Mailbox was knocked down and broken by ( of All things) the County Road Crew, cutting grass! Not only did they not fix it, but just drove that big Tractor away and didnt even look back! I called them but to no Avail! I was so mad! DH took pity, ( and a little shame faced, cause he had sprayed weed killer on the plants there last year) and fixed it up all new again!
pollen whos got Pollen! 5024 Yesterday and Im just not even going to look at the news today! Seems as if ,even the sky has turned yellow down here!
I cant take any of the allergy meds! So I just (cough) hang in (sniff) there! At least the headaches have stopped! I spoke with the County Agent here and he raises bees for Honey and Bee Pollen! I will be buying some and intend to eat some of it everyday! I have heard that if you eat local Honey and Bee Pollen that your immune systems will adjust to the Allergines in the area much better! Im sure gonna find out!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes.. I know about the honey being good for your allergies, but I think you'd have to go through a gallon a day to keep up with this amount in the air!! LOL!! :)
My DH also sprayed and killed some roses on the back fence I was growing as climbers.. Oh well.. They don't mean it :)

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Susan where did you bury husband?

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

ooooohhh Jim.. he was good for new plants so I had to let it slide!! :)

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.