X post: Companion plants for irises?

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I planted irises at the soggy SW corner of my house last spring and they survived the winter very nicely. :) (Whoo hoo!) Since the foliage dies back by the summer (I think?), are there some plants (preferably perennials) that I could plant in and around or in front of the irises that would fill in later in the season? I'm not sure just what type of irises they are, they were given to me by a friend, all I know is they're supposed to be blue. The soil is soggy clay, which occasionally dries out somewhat if we have a dry spell in the summer.

I'm still relatively new to the gardening thing, so please bear with me if this is a dumb question that everyone already knows. If there is a previous thread I could be directed to, that would be great. :)

Thanks everyone!!
pam

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Are they Bearded, Louisiana, Japanese or SIberian? Do you have a picture? Bearded iris like it dry with lots of air, the others like varying degrees of "wet" and don't mind crowding. Different companion plant requirements.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I double checked with my friend who supplied the original irises and they are, in fact, German bearded irises (blue flowers). Oddly, they've been sitting in the equivalent of wet glue all winter and they seem to be doing just fine. ??? Go figure. I don't have any pictures because they didn't get around to doing much of anything last year after I planted them, and they have only just sprouted this year. If it's any help, however, the rhizome sits pretty much on top of the soil, and the leaf blades are flat and broad.

Thanks! :)
pam

German iris are pretty tough, but generally prefer dry feet with lots of sun. I mix everything with my iris as long as they have plenty of air: daylilies, phlox, lilies, coreopsis, beebalm,balloon flowers, etc. Just nothing heavy and dense that might cover the iris and encourage rot to set in.

This is mixed iris & perennial bed last spring.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Here is the same bed in summer--the iris leaves are barely visible.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.