10 year old sreeened bark

Daphne, AL

I have acess to some free screened bark for my personal use. The stuff has been in in a pile yards since around 1996 and is 100% pine bark. There are about 5000 yards total. We are screening through a 3/4 inch screens. The pile was never turned, and I am not sure if it is composted. A small portion of the stuff was very hot, with a white fungus in it, very black when wet, dark dark brown when dry. The other 95% of the pile had no heat, is black when wet, brown when dry. I'll probably get a trailer load to play with at home, what should I do with it, what would it be good for. Wish I knew where to sell the whole lot!! I could get it all for five to sevan bucks a yard. I am being told the "potting soil people" are saying it holds to much moisture for their use. Anyway, I just want to use some at home but dont know quite what to with it!!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh boy!!! are you ever lucky. Take home as much as you can and put a 3 or 4 inch layer on your gaden beds as mulch or work it into the soil if it is not in use, and you can take home a lot more to use later as needed.
You can put it in a conpost enclosure of some kind, or bag it and save it for future use. Any kind of organic matter you can have is always great.
Josephine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.