Companion plants for irises?

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I planted irises at the soggy SW corner of my house last spring and they survived the winter very nicely. :) (Whoo hoo!) Since the foliage dies back by the summer, are there some plants (preferably perennials) that I could plant in and around or in front of the irises that would fill in later in the season? I'm not sure just what type of irises they are, they were given to me by a friend, all I know is they're supposed to be blue. I think. The soil is soggy clay, which occasionally dries out somewhat if we have a dry spell in the summer.

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post this question, but my gardens are closer to cottage style than anything else. Clay Eclectic (Clayclectic???) would probably be more accurate, though. :)

Thanks everyone!!
pam

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This thread had some good ideas, I thought... fortunately, it was still on my "watched" list where I could find it!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/673351/

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanks!!! Daylilies sound like a good bet...I love them and they do well in my yucky soil. I did a little more reading and I think I do have bearded irises (flat blades, rhizome on top of the soil) which surprised me because I'd heard that TB like drier soil. Mine have been sitting in soggy glue for about a year and seem to be doing just fine. ???? Go figure.

pam

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Update: I just spoke to my friend who originally provided the irses and he says that they are, in fact, German bearded irises with blue flowers.

pam

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, phuggins, I for one took the daylily advice and yesterday stuck daylilies and crocosmia among the irises that somehow survived my back yard. Let's compare notes as things happen. Glad you started this one!

Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.