If moving to AU, can I take my plants?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

My DH is from AU and has been in the states for 6 years. We got married a couple months after he got here. His father just called and told us that his mother only has 2-3 weeks left to live. She has terminal cancer. It came as quite a shock to my poor DH and he is not doing well. So DH wants us to go to AU to see her and then stay there. My question is, can I take all of my plants into AU, and if so, how? Do they need to be bare roots or what? Most of my plants are African Violets with a few cactus and succulents. Does anyone know what the rules are for taking plants into AU? I tried to find it online but can't seem to get a solid answer. So, do any of you Aussies know?

Thanks for your help,
Jesse

Morrinsville ~Waikat, New Zealand

That is sad news ,Jesse ,and I am so sorry .
Australia is the same as NZ -definitely no plants ,as even the tiniest bug or soil organism could have devastating effects on their agriculture . On the brighter side ,there will be plants that you will not have seen before ,and -tropicals you can grow in the hotter climate .
Thoughts are with you and your family ,
Emelle (NZ)

Sth west of Melbourn, Australia

Verry sorry to hear of your families ordeal. it must be terrible for all of you at this time of sorrow.
Sorry , but our quarantine is probably the most stringent in the world & believe me it has to be to keep us safe! However I assure you we have probably every African violet there is & there are A.V societies you can join so you will soon build up your collection again. Same goes for succulents & cacti. There are plenty of enthusiasts here with the climate being relatively mild. In fact some species can become quite invasive like Prickly Pear which had to be biologically controlled using a Mexican caterpillar.
Best Wishes, I am sure you will love our flora & fauna specially the parrots & cockatoos that will visit your garden.

Glen Innes NSW, Australia

I moved not knowing a soul here in 2000
I hope ypu get new neighbours like mine who have given me everything I need- slips, seeds and transplanted- to start gardening in a new and different climate.
Good way to get to know people and make friends.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.