My kitchen tomatoes

Algonac, MI

Hey, Y'all...I finally remembered to get film for my camera. Now you're in for it. I have 2 pics to send and here is one.
The far left front is our avacado plant and 2nd is one of 3 Orenburg Giant tomato plants with another in the left background. The 2nd from the right is also another Orenburg. All the rest are Early Girl.
Pic #2 shows a much clearer detail which is comin' atcha in a minuet.
Later!

Thumbnail by LostIndian
Algonac, MI

Here is the 2nd pic. The small box on the right are yellow tomatoes: Taxi and Wendy. Both are Siberian.

Thumbnail by LostIndian
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, those are looking super.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Those plants look great. Will you be able to keep them going for another two months till you can plant them outside? When is it safe to plant in the ground at your garden?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

darn im so jealous-im a month behind on my mators!!
those are wonderful and i bet they smell GREAT!

Algonac, MI

THANKS All, for your compliments 'bout my 'maters.
I am kinda proud of 'em. Took a lot of TLC from Nov. '06 til today.
The weather guy says that we are to be in the 60s come Wed of next week. I am going to build a duel-layer collaspable tee pee over my 'maters to collect the sun heat during the day and I will raise it during the night.
I read where this will protect plants down to 25 degrees with one layer, so....I ain't taking no chances. I got a couple of flowers forming on one of my Orenburgs. I gotta get that one in the ground even if I have to hug it all night long to keep it warm.
I'll keep y'all posted and put up more pics as I make my tee pee.
Later!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

How did you keep them from not getting spindly? I usually don't start mine too early because of that.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

They are going to have mators on them by the time you can plant them! ;)

these were mine in the GH last april with the daylily babes and then garden stuff i potted!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Algonac, MI

Hey, Y'all,

I got 4 of my plants set outside today (Tue.) B-4 my back yelled at me to quit and just in time for a hard rain. The other 4 are coming back in tomorrow for the next 3 days because of the below 40 degree temps. This will keep me from having to build a loooooong tee pee. Right now, I have to make it "only" 16' with about 8' slopes. I gotta do this in the morning before the weather sets in. I'll send pics.
The kitchen doesn't have that "fresh tomato smell", but I'm sure some of it will come back when I bring in the other 4.

notmartha, I admire your GH. That "Green Monster" almost got me while looking at your pic.
We are going to replace 11 of our jalosie windows this fall and I am saving the glass to build me a GH for late winter production. I gotta lotta reading to do about humidity, air circulation, heating, etc., but I am sure looking forwrd to building it.
Any suggestions from anyone will be greatly appreciated.
My hopes are to have tomatoes ALL year 'round, plus a few more fresh vittles.

hemlady, I have no idea as to why my maters ain't "spindley". It may be the type maters they are; Siberian. I have 13 yellow maters coming on strong in the kitchen window: 6 Taxi and 7 Wendy. These are Siberian maters and I have 3 more varities to set within the next week or two.

BY THE WAY.....I now have 10 out of 12 Imperial artichokes sprouting. Since I set them in our "walk-in cooler" rooms, the below 50 degree temps have brough out the best in them. Now they look like the knobby things they are supposed to resemble.
Thanks for reading.

Later!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.