Starting new flower beds

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm wanting to get some flower beds ready and I have a question. I did up a bed last fall and thought I got all the grass out but lo and behold I'm having some grass sprout up in the bed. We dug all the grass out and tilled in alot of compost boy it looked great...LOL! My question is what is the best way to get the new grass thats coming up out with out hurting the other plants and what can I do to the other beds to keep this from happening. Thanks!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

If you haven't planted yet, you can use Roundup on the whole area. After a couple of days it should be safe to plant. If you've already got plants, use preen or spot treat with roundup being careful to avoid getting any on your plants. This has worked for me in the past.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much! I hate using chemical sprays but I need to get over it!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Depending on how much grass is sprouting and how loose the soil in the bed is you may be able to just pull it up if you have other things planted. If not, you can lay down some of that black fabric (row cover?). I have some and it is like the interfacing used for sewing. Very supple but durable. It allows moisture to pass through but the weeds and grass cannot grow through. Just cut holes in it where you want to put in your plants and fill in with soil around it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.