Coffee grounds

(Zone 4a)

I have heard that it is okay to use coffee grinds or coffee around plants to protect them from slugs?? Does this really work? Is it safe to put in your garden? I am guessing you just apply them around the perimeter of the plant? TIA.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Dawn, here's a recent thread.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/697867/

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I was at a garden club meeting recently and one of the people swore by using sweet gum seed pods to mulch her hostas that she never had a slug. She said that they are light weight and don't hurt the hostas and piles them a couple inches deep in the early spring. She thinks that the slugs don't like the prickles.

I'm stopping by the Starbucks on my way home for coffee grounds tonight! This time of year I need fresh stuff for my compost pile!

(Zone 4a)

Victor I cannot see the replies to that post so it isn't of any help to me....sorry.

Sorry - how about this?

http://www.paghat.com/coffeeslugs.html

(Zone 4a)

It is so funny you posted that! I just finished reading that - I found it while browing the internet LOL. Thanks though - I appreciate it.

Wow - we're on the same wavelength!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I save my coffee grounds, I add them to the soil. Not sure how well they work as a deterent.

I sometimes add soil to my coffee when I want that full bodied taste.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Do you dance 'the worm' then ;)

In a sitting postion.

(Zone 4a)

Hmmm same wave length eh Victor - now that could be scary LOL.

Well either way I do collect the grounds and put them in my compost I was just curious about adding straight to my gardens...thanks folks.

It's great for acid-loving plants.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes Dawn, You can add them straight to the garden.

They have made some of my plants jittery however so I switched to de-caf.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I find a hazel-mochachino Hawian coffee groud works best.

Only on tropicals.

(Zone 4a)

Ok great...I have asked a few coffee loving drinkers from my office to save me either their coffee or tea bags for my compost. Ahhh I feel great. Can't wait to see on Monday how much they have for me LOL

Picked up my first load of grounds from Starbucks on Friday. They said that they will be bagging the grounds and leaving them in a barrel by the door starting this week. I will be ther at least two night a week raiding their barrel. It would be greedy to go every night, right?

They give you just the grounds, right? Not any paper filters mixed in with it?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Yankee, It all depends how long it takes to fill the barrel! They don't care. It's great that they have that as a company policy.

They dumped just grounds in the silver plastic bag that the beans come in, then taped it shut and put it in a handled shopping bag for me. Talk about service! I think that since they brew each cup on demand - that they don't even use papers.

Wow, that's nice. I'll have to go to my nearest one. Irony of ironies - I never drink their coffee!! Too burned tasting for me.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Me too. I'm more of a Dunkin Donuts guy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.