Tickled

Dallas, TX

I am just so happy. I think I ordered them from MB for very little. Last summer this tree was just splinters. now look at the leaves developing ... I think this is the green one. :) you can see it is rather breezy today.

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

for sure this is the red one ...its going to be a beauty in five years or so. Do you think I can put this in the ground now or should I wait until it larger?

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

... for sure this is going in the ground. Do you think it will drop al its leaves if i put it in the ground now or should I wait until the end of the season ... after the leaves drop off?

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Have you figured out how big they will get or are they all "seedlings"? Size should be considered before planting them. They look like a nice mix. I would put them in the ground as early as possible so that they will get some roots down before the heat hits.

Laura

Dallas, TX

Laura they are supposed to become big trees. lol Let me go back and find out something from where I bought them. I am just tickled they are still alive. lol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You can certainly put them in the ground. They are big enough. I don't know if early spring is the best time to plant them though. I do plant maples year round here without trouble.

Sylvia, I forget when your rainy season starts there, if you have a month or two of showers ahead, I would go ahead and plant them. If it is gone by already, then you may wish to keep them in pots until fall and plant them in the cooler weather. My sister lives in Arlington and I went to college in San Angelo. I remember the afternoon/evening thunderstorms in the summer heat that always brought the threat of Tornados.

Laura

Dallas, TX

Thanks Guys ... i was thinking the same thing about the rainy season, it will be here soon. I got my backyard all tilled and amended and I am excited about that. My landscaper friend told me before I start planting anything to lay it out on paper and I think he is right. lol I am really into trees here lately, I just bought another Fig tree and two Red Bud trees from HD. I also got this Quince tree I got from a Roundup. I got two Mimosa seedlings a dg'er sent me from California. Do you think I have enough trees? LOL

Walhalla, SC

Well I'd say there are never enough trees :)

Although I'd watch out for that mimosa because you might be digging up seedlings in a couple of years.

DFW area, TX(Zone 8a)

City_Sylvia, you and I seem to share the same addiction. I'm in Dallas, too, and have two new JM's I'm considering putting into the ground. I LOVE these trees, and I'm thrilled all four of mine made it out of the horrible hot end-of-summer we had last year -- when all my JMs got leaf scorch, shady and wind-protected or not, and then the double freezes that worried me for my JMs in pots.

But no, they are coming on like gangbusters. Yours look like pretty graceful little guys, too!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Its funny about trees and plants in general ...Up here Mimosa is rare and those that make it are beautiful ...mine always died back and in 8 years i got only a few blooms once or twice ( warmer winters)...but down the hyway there are some 30foot tall ones.. go figure... After 8 years I deep sixed it BUT mine never spread just didn't do diddly ;>)... BUT in the south they are considered weeds and NOT desirable...folks hate them...how they are percieved or spread in TX may be differnt than where you are Matt.... just as in AK they are totally differnt than here...talk to most any southerner and they don't have kind words for the Mimosa...David

This message was edited Mar 25, 2007 11:41 AM

DFW area, TX(Zone 8a)

I think mimosas are beautiful, but their sap is HARD on cars. And do they ever drip it. I lived in a house as a teenager that had a mature mimosa draped over the driveway. Since I was the teenager and had the really, really, really used car, I was the one who didn't get a spot in the garage and had to park under that tree. I always had a vaguely-spotted car -- like a panther in the sunlight, when you can see the leopard spots underneath the black. Only my car didn't look that good.

On the plus side, hummingbirds LOVE them. I agree, though, be careful where you put them. They are also a fairly short-lived tree as those things go, and tend to drop limbs as they age, so put them in an area where they can't harm your hostas!

Laura

Walhalla, SC

I personally think they are one of the most beautifull trees you can have. They have nice trunk structure, wispy pinnated leaves, and of course those beautiful fragrant flowers.

However, down here in SC they are a horible weed. Thousands of them line the highways (although I don't mind in places like this because you can smell the flowers for hundreds of yards when in bloom). People that have planted them soon have all of their beds full of seedlings, and they are difficult to kill even if cut back to the ground. They are probably fourth on the invasive non-native weed list here behind kudzuu, chinese ligustrum, and chinese bamboo. Honeysuckle might be worse, though.

Dallas, TX

I loved my Mimosa I left at the old place and it never dropped seedlings. The tree waly about five or six years old maybe it was too young.
lol ... thanks for the warning about the Hostas Laura ... will do.
Savannah are you new? Why havent we met before? Do you grow Hostas? are you going to the RU?
... talk to me! :) ... my JM's burned up too, I had no idea they would come back so pretty this year. I must be getting better with them, I have lost two or three already and one of them was a Crimson Queen ... still love that tree. Next time I will buy one from a nursery.
David, my Friend in Georgia said the same thing the Mimosa there, she couldnt understand why I wanted those trees. I have another out there I bought from henry fields about a a year ago, I dont know if it made the move well or not, but I got it planted ... it look like a stick in the ground ... lol ... I keep praying for a bud. :)
Matt I think Honeysuckle reputation is worse than Wisteria!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.