First iris set to bloom

Grand Prairie, TX

Well, here is my first iris, set to bloom. None of the others have buds. I am wondering if I should go through the bed, and move dirt off the rhizomes. Last year when I put them in, I had read somewhere that here in Texas it was okay to cover the rhizomes because of the heat.

Thumbnail by maryyx
Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

maryyx,
I let mine bake in the sun. I have found that if the rhizomes are covered and it rains, the heat just makes it worse and more susceptible to rot. But then again maybe that is just in my garden.
:-)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Sigh. I can't wait for my Iris to bloom again. I plant more of them
every year and each year I get more excited. One day I'll be an
old woman complaining they need to be separated. LOL.

Love those Iris!

Thanks for sharing, Mary!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

And I'm just uncovering mine in Iowa. My bearded like to be uncovered so the spring rains don't bring rot. I think if yours are blooming in Texas, you already have them planted correctly.

Grand Prairie, TX

What I am wondering about Wandasflowers is whether some of them may need to have the top of the rhizome uncovered - because the one in the picture above is the ONLY one that has blooms.
Maryyx

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

My experience has been that you need to have some of the iris showing to get a good bloom. I generally plant mine like a boat -- with the bottom part of the rhizome in the dirt and the rest it sticking up above ground so it can enjoy the sun.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I too plant mine with the entire top of the rhizome exposed to the hot sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.