Do any nurseries ship Brugmansia plants to the United States

Clermont, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm looking to obtain some European Hybrid brugmansia plants to use for future hybridizing. Does anyone know of any European nurseries that ship to the US? I contacted several but none ship here.

Are there any plant brokers/importers that could serve as a middleman and accept the plants on my behalf and then ship them to the Untied States?

I am aware of the US plant import process and would obtain the needed permits to import the plants.

Any help or insight in to options that may be available would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Fred

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

The problem here is to get the growers/hybridisers to be willing to go trought the trouble of obtaining the phyto cert for those particular plants as they no longer have to do that within EU as the borders for both plants and seeds are fully open and dont require any of the expensive paperwork they formerly had to obtaine. The nurseries that export across Europeen borders still have to have their nurseries checked out but on a more general basis.

You can go around the phyto cert by applying for growing with quarantine, but they have to approve WHERE you will grow your brugs the nextcomming two years and they check your growingplace and your brugs a couple of time a year. I dont know how costly it would be for you but that is one way of doing it.
May I ask wich Brugs you are particulary interested in.
Janett

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi Trifred, i've contacted two Belgium nurseries for you and until now one has replied: the nursery-owner says he's not willing to do it any longer because he has had bad experiences with exporting to the US.: several loads he has send with certificates have been destroyed.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Does not surprise me - plants in the family Solanaceae are among the most tightly restricted of any, because of (a) several species being crops of major economic importance, and (b) subject to several potentially devastating diseases (Phytophthora infestans, tobacco mosaic virus, etc). Movement of Solanaceae is even banned between some member states within the EU (where, by and large, there are few or no restrictions on moving plants).

Resin

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Resin, wich Europeen countries are you saying have restrictions.
I have asked both your and my Dep of agroculture and got the answere that there are NO restrictions anywhere within EU any more. I did incluede Brugs in my question to the Dep. The answere inclueded seeds. soil and plant
I do understand that if it is a large outbrake of pests there is a quaratine of that area/country and that that applies even within a country.
I got my answere from the Dep in question last year in the end of October.
Janett

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

The UK regs are in here (pdf file, 1.6 MB):
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/publicat/passport/pass.pdf

Resin

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Thanks Resin
This is the answere I got from your Dep Oct 2006.
Janett

Thank you for your enquiry which has been passed to me for reply. There are no restrictions on the movement of plants and seeds
within the EC.
Therefore you may send plants from Sweden to Lewis and
there is no requirement for a plant health inspection or any documentation.

Please contact me if you have any further enquiries.

Mhairi Noon
Horticultural Officer

SEERAD

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Fred i Think that Monika Might Ship To The Us But you would Have To Pay All The Fees and i belive that would be a Lot i grow and do a hybridizing with Brugs theres pleany of Brugs gere from germany to use heres Monikas Site Tho to get in touch with her Paul http://www.allegras-foren.de/phpbb/index.php

Clermont, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks everyone for all of the responses. It looks like I'll just have to stay on the lookout for seeds as they are much easier to import. I've purchased a few European crosses on ebay already

I know there are lots of new hybrids being developed here in the United States, it is just that the plants are hard to locate. When you browse through the European Brugmansia websites it appears the hybrids, especially doubles, are easy to obtain if you live in Europe.

Thanks again.

Fred

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.