Waiting for new blooms-my unknowns

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi all, I've enjoyed looking at the newly bloomed iris while patiently waiting here for ours to start.I believe we've got another month to go here in east Tennessee.I 've been looking at my unknown photo album and decided to post a few to see if anyone could give suggestions.That way when they bloom again I could really look at them and start comparing all the little differences. Sure hope others will be interested in posting their unknowns also so maybe we could help each other while waiting for blooms. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of them,they are all so unique,but I would like to have their true name attached to them instead of my nicknames,lol
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,and I would love to see other no-ids posted too. Dora

red#1-distinct purple beards

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

red#2-old gold beards

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

red#3-bright gold beards

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

red#4-smaller blooms,shorter stalks,maybe border

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

blue & blue tinges#1

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

blue & blue tinges#2

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

blue & blue tinges#3-not Electrique

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

white#1

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

white#2

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

white#3

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Pink#1

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

pink#2

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

pink#3

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

odd ones#1

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

odd ones#2

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

odd ones#3-my favorite,shows a shimmery pink when the sun hits it

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

odd ones#4

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

odd ones#5-really odd

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

odd ones#6

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

odd ones#7

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

Odd one #5, spent a long time trying to identify the same one. After many sites and picture I think it is Liaison

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you oltmanns, I will look at it closely if it blooms again this spring. All the blooms last year had the same odd wavy shape to it.

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

They're all very pretty..Odd one#4 looks like Accent.

Winni

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Don't know the names of any, but they are beautiful ! Are they all TB's ?

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks winnietn, I'll compare that to an Accent picture.I believe odd#4 is an old iris, an elderly woman was selling her iris by the sackful at a flea market one year and all that I've gotten from her(one was actually Quaker Lady) is historic. betterbloom I think all are tall bearded except the red#4. It was about 24 inches tall,but it blomed with the TBs. A few were bought by local iris sale,but they were marked unknown and the others were purchased by an incorrect name. One of the whites was supposed to be Flareup, a brown iris, LOL

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

What lovely flowers! What happened to the names? Most of them look like iris sold in the "box stores" for the past 5 years or so. Note closely the color of the beards, stalk height, bud count & etc to help with identification

#5 is not Liason: Liason has deep orange beards and a tiny pink edge on the falls.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Also note coloration of buds before they open to help in ID. #3 has a similiar shape, beard & color to Sultan's Palace, but the buds look diferent. Sultan's Palace.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Wanda, I believe you're right. These were bought mostly as something else; white#3 was bought as Top Dog, pink#3 was bought as Syncopation, blue#2 was sold as Hindu Magic,etc. The older varieties came from the elderly woman at the flea market,she sold a bag of rhizomes for 5.00 right after they had bloomed. Odd 2&5 came from our yearly rhizome sale,but they were bought as unknowns with descriptions only. The red#1 is one of the prettiest red I've ever seen in the yard here,and it was sold as Three Strikes,lol!

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

I have quite a few with no names. It's kinda fun trying to id them. I try and put all my no id's in a bed to themselves. I have one that's really old and can't find out her ID. Who knows one day I just might find out the name.
Winni

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

You have some nice "odd-ones" - - I too especially like the looks of #3. Wish I could help ID those you have shown there. The problem is there are SO many whites, pinks, purples, older reds, and purple plicatas. And then those lovely historics are just not that well known.....(because not all that many people grow them, and many that do - - do not know their names because they have been passed down from generation to generation.) Have you checked out the photos on the Historic website?

http://www.hips-roots.com/visitors/v-photos/vp-topframe.html

Also, once you find what you may think is a match; it is best to purchase the one you think it is and then grow it side by side your original one - (just to be sure). You'll either be surprised that they are identical or shocked that they are not. I wish you well. :-)

~Margie

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for all the info, Margie you are right about buying one identical to the one you are watching, I did that with Bayberry Candle last fall. I love the old historic iris myself, and I'm crazy over Edenite. I'm afraid the rest of the family doesn't share my enthusiasm for them,lol, calling most of my choices dog-eared :-)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Your unknowns are magnificent. I love #3. I also love #1 and #2. Incredible reds! I have an unknown red of my own. It came marked Blue Suede Shoes! I haven't photographed it, but perhaps this year I can get a picture of it and another.

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hope you get a bloom this year,maybe we could match reds,lol! I thought the one with a purple beard would be a little distinct looking but I haven't run across any others yet.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Could your red #4 be Cranapple. It is a border bearded iris.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/32545/index.html

Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

Wandaflowers If you check out Liaison at plant files you will find a number of pictures, all showing liaison different.
If you are going to shoot down a suggestion, at least give us green iris enthusiasts some guidance, or suggestions as to other irises that look simmilar.

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Texas_Doodebug! I see now where I've angled the camera to make the beards a golden tint and I don't think they really had it. I've even got one to compare it to,if they both bloom this year.Believe it would have been so much easier to id if they would have had horns,spoons or at least some sploches of different colors in them!
Here's the last one I'll post,although my daughter has got alot in her album too. This was bought as Horned Dragonfly. I really like it and hope it is one of Austin's "horned" iris.

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow!! That has a lot of stuff going on with that one. Ticking in the standards, and a lot of color variation within the fall pattern (as light as it may be - - it's still visible) I love it! Wow........I hope you can out what the name of that one is.

This is how it was registered if it is "Horned Dragonfly"

HORNED DRAGONFLY

(Lloyd Austin, R. 1964), Sdlg. 28 TB horned, 36" (91 cm), M-L
"S orchid; F orchid, washed rose, dark rose-orchid striping, orchid horns. Sierra Sunset X Horned Mystery. Rainbow 1965 "

It COULD be it! Where did you buy it?

~Margie

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Margie, this one was bought from Riverview, I bought all the ones hybridized by Lloyd Austin there,this one is the only one I couldn't verify as being right compared to other pictures of it. Itdoesn't match the one listed here on DG's, or the picture Superstition had of it. It is so pretty though, I will keep it. Dora

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.